1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

At what point should you service the battery?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Matt98svt, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius just turned 185k and is on the original traction battery with no issues so far. I have noticed my mpg has slipped a small amount but the car still averages 46 mpg. I have never used the Dr Prius app to actually test the battery but I see a lot of post in which people are balancing their cells and that seems to give the battery new life. As well as cleaning or replacing the copper terminals that corrode over time inside the traction battery. Is this maintenance that should be done preemptively or should I just wait until I get the red triangle? If I’m still getting pretty good gas mileage do I stand much to gain in mpg or longevity if I serviced the battery now? Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it needs to be done before there is a problem. it won't work after, so now would be a good time

ukulelegeek likes this.
  3. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    you are just at the year and miles for the battery and everything else to start going bad..... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For my money, if you're going to do anything, do it between the 5 and 7 year mark.

ukulelegeek likes this.