1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

At what price does it make sense to get a Prius instead of a C?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by BrunoPuntzJones, Mar 4, 2012.

1. BrunoPuntzJones

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    So with the expected markup (local dealer is asking upwards of $27k for a C Four with moonroof), at what point does a Prius make better financial sense than a regular Prius?

I don't know enough about the Prius models and such. I do about 1,000 miles a month, not many, and probably 85% city driving.

I'm not big on leather seats or the navigation, etc. I mean it's nice to have, and if I can snag the C the dealer is getting for MSRP, I may jump. But it seems like $27k will buy a larger Prius that is comparable equipped.

Any thoughts of the breakeven price between models at which would be the best deal?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it were simply price we are concerned with then I would say right around the $26k mark if sunroof is a must. That would put you in the ballpark for a Prius Three with solar roof if you shop around. I couldnt fathom spending over $20k for a c.

3. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think that's way to much for the car. I don't think it's worth it. Prius gets good mileage... Can you look at another dealer (and tell your 1st dealer you are doing so?).

4. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try looking for a leftover regular Prius 2011, should get a good price, but if your are willing to spend 27 maybe a 2012 4? I think a Prius 4 would be a much better value than a 27k Prius C.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At MSRP, I think the Prius c Two or Prius c Three is looking pretty good. If you don't care of nav or want a roomier interior, then a Prius Two will suffice. I'd say test drive both and see which fits you better in terms of ergonomics.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG - don't spend that much just because the C is a new model! The mpg difference versus 3rd gen is not much so it's a matter of which model Prius you want. The C should cost less given the same features - about $4,000 from what I see. The Prius 3rd gen is larger, and likely more comfortable on longer trips, but since your mileage is mostly city, the C may be perfect for you. Don't let the dealer take a mark-up from you!

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As the Prius C is marketed for low cost, why spend the same as a comparably equipped regular model. Don't get caught up in the hype. The money saved on a smart purchase by the target customer will buy a lot of gas. If you just decided you want to spent $27K, then go for more space. The difference in gas mileage will be negligible.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't believe the hype. They don't even have the cars yet and there's demand so they probably figure they can try and screw over the early adopters. Or by suggesting the c Four is $27k they might simply be trying to get you to go for the liftback Four NOW.

9. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Since we're talking finances here, I have a question for those familiar with Prius resale values.
    If I buy a Prius c this year, then trade it in on a Gen IV Prius in a year or two, versus just waiting for a Gen IV Prius, how much extra will it cost me? (no financing. I'll be paying up front)
    I calculated that I will save about 224 gallons per year versus my current car, which equals $896 at $4.00 per gallon.

Thanks. :)

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

if you buy smart, and buy Prius c II, then it will cost you less :).

General rule of thumb that can be applied here:
    1. New models get better resale (Prius c will still be new 3-4 years from now).
    2. Lesser equipped models get better resale, so II or III.

1 person likes this.
  11. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking for a good honest/deal right now....already got the $....will keep this in mind