1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ATF. Any advantage to using Redline D6 over the Toyota WS?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by uart, Nov 8, 2013.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've just hit 195k km (120k miles) and am ready to do my second ATF change. I did my first change at about 60k miles using the recommended Toyota WS fluid.

I know that several owners have been using the D6 for some time and I haven't heard of any report problems thus far. So is there any advantage in giving the D6 ATF a try, or is it still best to stick with the Toyota WS?

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Trouble with that is you would want to get all the oil from the case as there is a couple liter left after draining, is there not? I would not want to mix lubricants! Is it really worth the chance? Redline is great oil,but. :oops: H

uart likes this.
  3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good point Harold. I'm not sure if the other D6 users here did any kind of flushing when they changed over, but D6 is pretty expensive here so I'm not too keen on buying more than I need.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Order it from Amazon . How long would it take too receive it in your area? H

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would just use Toyota ATF-WS. The Redline fluid might work just fine, but Toyota spec's a specific fluid, for me that trumps any other factors.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Last time I was changing the ATF I couldn't find anyone delivering it to Australia, so going with Toyota WS was a pretty easy decision. Now however there's an aussie ebay seller that has it here in Australia, so delivery should be within about a week. Including shipping it's about $105 per 4 quarts, compared with about $80 for the WS from the dealer.

7. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would stay with the WS. H

8. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with all who recommend staying with the Toyota ATF WS.
    One thing though. There is no flushing or couple liters left when you take the drain plug out of the Prius transaxle. It's a simple drain.
    Any shop who tries to sell you a flush is ripping you off.
    Gen I does have a pan you can drop and clean.

Mike500 likes this.
  9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    WS has a specific viscosity and frictional coefficient. Any other fluid might be different.

Since the fluid contacts the electrical ECU, it also has to have an electrical insulation quality or "dielectric" rating. Likewise, another fluid might be different.

I would use nothing buy WS.

Zedhomme likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Redline D6 for 6 years now in my 07 since new producing ridiculously low wear numbers on UOA's.
    100% synthetic fluid.

Mike WS fluid has no dielectric rating or insulation quality. Its a low viscosity trans fluid used in many Toyota trucks and cars.

Try it Uart I think you'll be impressed.

uart likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm a little embarrassed to say: with our 3rd gen, I did a change at the one year mark, then again at the 3 year mark (just recently). That was around 15000 km and 40000 km. Considering the fluids and replacement washers are under $40 CAN, and it takes about a DIY hour...

ATF-WS of course.

12. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ed , how often do you change the redline synthetic? H

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every 30-35,000 miles. Which is about 2 1/2 years. Soon as I start to see the TAN go south. Pure 100% synthetic with really no additive pack which is why the wear numbers are so good.
    Pack is basically to extend the TAN but has higher wear. I have seen member UOA's here with WS TAN's of 1 after a few years and very high mileage so I am being very conservative.
    If your afraid of anything concerning what affect the trans fluid has on the trans windings the TAN should be your first concern. I know after 35,000 miles the D6 shows a 2.58 on the tan which is nothing really.

Coming up on my third D6 change. Will have that UOA'ed too. Wearcheck.com They test the TAN unlike alot of other UOA's I have seen here. That's a really important number for a Prius trans fluid.

The WS is nothing special it's really just a discussion on what quality GL4 you require. Redline has the best GL4 lubricants in the world imho.

In the US Redline is pretty cheap. $11.99 a quart with free shipping from Jeg's. So less then $50 every 3 years for me. I use Jeg's because I buy alot of stuff there and Redline does not take Paypal. I like Paypal. Jeg's is great too free shipping.

If your afraid to use it on a Prius trans for whatever reason try there gear oil on any other car trans you own next time. You will see the difference in high performance oil. That will sell you for life. And if you really want to see what a difference high performance oil will make in a car try there motor oil in 5-30. WOW. Like a different motor. Not exaggerating here. Motor oil is 100% syn plus high quality ZDP pack. Really slippery stuff. They're touting lower oil loss with better ring sealing too. I don't have an oil loss problem yet but that's what it says on their site.
    For someone just seeing the beginning of oil loss it may be worth a try to run this superior motor oil..

I rarely drive the Prius as its my wife's car but we road tripped yesterday and did some hi way and ave 50.2. That's pretty good for me as its running non lrr tires and they were under inflated too as I wanted a smoother ride. They were down around 35 lbs and i still did awesome. 3 people and a
    dog and I'm in lane 1 all day setting pace.

High performance oil makes in a huge difference in the way the car performs and its longevity.

HaroldW likes this.
  14. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used it my Miata when it became hard too shift into 3rd. gear, problem solved:). Thanks for the good info,Ed. H

edthefox5 likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you.

Oh yeah they love Redline on the Mazda forum and the Nissan Tuning forum too. I'm on a Corvette forum too and there all over it. Bitog....

Can't tell you how many cranky manual boxes with snicking 1-2 Redline MT90 fixed for me.

Years ago owned a Ranger with the M5OD 5 speed and was ready to sell it it shifted so hard 1-2. Redline D4 really improved that enough to get another year out of before I sold it and was still ok.

I'm running there C+ in my pos Sebring right now and it fixed the beginning to feel it downshift issue too.
    And it does not evaporate as bad as Chrysler +4 does.

GL4.

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info Ed.

I was going to change it on the (previous) weekend because I've got a bit of a road trip to do this week and will be leaving tomorrow. Anyway, long story short, all of the dealer service depts around here are apparently closed on Sat mornings (and all weekend) so I couldn't even get hold of any ATF. So now it's going to have to wait until I return and I might just give the RL-D6 a try.

edthefox5 likes this.