1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ATF Changes ARE required.

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bill Norton, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello, This is my first post and after lots of research on the forums about this subject, I think we need to start a new thread. There is too much diverse and hard to find information on this simple subject so let's review:
    The Prius transmission is not a typical 'automatic transmission' with torque converter,clutches, valves and a lot of gears.
    It is not a typical 'CVT' with a metal V-belt and varying pulleys.

It is simply a Planetary Gearbox with two electric motors in it;
    one motor controlling the the planet gears for ratio changes
    and one motor connected only the the drive output for electric only moving and reversing.
    That's right, there is not even a reverse gear set. This is incredibly simple !

Unfortunately there is no mention of changing the transmission fluid in the manual, only checking the level at 100k mi.

I'm a Noob. I purchased my '10, IV, Solar Sun Roof, (over $30k on the window sticker!) in November with 108k mi from the dealer that sold it originally.
    At 112k mi I changed the ATF and sent in a sample for oil analysis.

The ATF change is incredibly simple. If you can change your engine oil (buy the 64mm filter tool),
    you can change the ATF fluid. While you're under the car doing the engine oil, look to the left by the axle shaft. There are the drain and fill plugs. Buy one of those transmission fluid funnels with the 2' foot clear tubing, go to the hardware store and buy 3' of the clear tubing that fits tightly inside the funnel's tubing and you have the only tool needed, besides the 10mm allen socket, long extension and ratchet.

Attached is a story of 3 oil analyses, two from my car and one from a buddy's GenII with 250k mi.
    The first analysis scared me so bad I did a second ATF change 420 mi later and I show that analysis, also. All of these are Toyota ATF-WS.
    I will be doing it again in 10k mi when I change the Mobil 1 0-20W in the engine.
    I used Mobil 1 ATF this time. Don't let all the 'Opinions' on the forum scare you about the "mysteries" of this transmission and what it needs.

IT'S JUST GEARBOX. That's all it is and it needs routine oil changes because there in no oil filter in this gearbox and Toyota didn't even give it a magnetic drain plug. That,and the lack of scheduled maintenance, IMO, Toyota dropped the ball on this.

I also added a 'super' magnet to the drain plug.
    Attached is a picture of my improved drain plug. I'll add info if needed and if this post gets posted.

ericw28 and xs650 like this.
  2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The need for oil changes has been documented before but it's good that you bring it up again because it's important. Thanks.

The disconnect between the particle count and ppm that puzzled you is because for the most part the ppm test doesn't break down particles that are big enough to be counted. When you changed the oil, you didn't flush all the particles out of the transmission, nooks and crannies and the film of oil that remained in the transmission retained particles. The large amount of clean oil you put in the transmission compared to the small amount remaining on surfaces in the transmission did a major dilution of the ppm.

A good example of how that works is that an engine or transmission that just blew up can leave a lot of measurable particles in the oil (high particle count) but still have low ppm counts.

A common refrain we get here is that the Toyota Engineers know best, they pretty much do, unfortunately we don't know what they would recommend because the final service requirements aren't set by engineers.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, many posts on the subject but not in an easy to find location. All the Prius-gurus recommend changing the transaxle fluid at around 30k-60k. I plan to have it done in my 2012 after Christmas when I hit 35k. It's cheap insurance.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Deleted duplicate

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe picture posting is disabled 'till you get more posts? Please do post a pic when you can. I've stuck a small, powerful magnet on the head of my transaxle drain bolt, which magnetizes the whole bolt modestly. But it's not ideal.

BTW, I changed transaxle fluid very early, at first anniversary, with around 15000 km's. I plan to do it every second year, from here on.

<See there's some confusion, this thread is also in 3rd gen prius forum, with pic>

6. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry for the confusion. When I realized I posted in the wrong thread I couldn't figure out how to cancel it.
    If this thread can be deleted now, that's fine. Or is it too late?

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The threads can be merged. Report it and request a merge.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How is it working? Sounds like a great idea if it works.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got a 4 pack of small/round batteries (described as having 8 lb pull), and put one each on the transaxle fill, transaxle drain, and oil pan drain bolt heads. Time will tell how effective they will be. I'm sure a magnet at the business end of the bolt is better.

I think the setup is fairly effective: when I put a magnet on the head of a spare bolt, I was able to pick up a swiss army knife with the tip of the bolt.

Something of note: you have to take the magnet off the transaxle bolts to put on the 10mm socket when loosening. You could then replace it and spin the bolt off with your fingers. Hopefully there'd be some residual magnetism, and/or the stuff would just stay adhered for that moment.

I do know from experience with Honda transmissions that did come with magnetic drain bolts: the stuff on the magnet is a silvery grey paste, really clingy.

With the magnet on the oil pan bolt I checked: I can place a 14mm socket on without having to remove the magnet. It's best to leave the socket on when unscrewing the bolt. In my experience, if I took the socket off the magnet came with it.

<It seems to be impossible for me to touchtype "magnet". I mis-typed it as "magent" pretty much every time, LOL.>

10. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's such an easy maintenance item there's no reason not to make the change at whatever mile point you wish. I did our '99 at 30k, and will do my C at that pointas well.

This has been fully covered, but not in the C maintenance section.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to point out for the non-DIY'ers that this is an easy procedure so do not let the dealer's overcharge you for the job. MANY dealers confuse this service with the service required on the newer Tacoma trucks which require a thermal cycle and flush. That service is $280-$300! 5 dealerships quoted me that price even after I told them the Prius is different and only requires a drain and fill with World Standard fluid. I finally found a dealer that knows the Prius and agreed with me. It cost $90 to have them do it. It was 1/2hr labor charge and the rest was fluid.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I've done a little work in this area including our 2010 Prius. My current thinking is:
    • 5k odometer (OD) - early transaxle and engine oil change to remove any left over manufacturing debris before it gets much circulation
    • 20k OD transmission change - removes last residual material and early wear material
    • 50k OD transmission change - final before going to long-term maintenance
    • 150k OD transmission change - and every 100k thereafter
    The early changes flush out material that can continue to circulate. But after a while, the car reaches a steady state and longer change intervals makes more sense. There just won't that much wear material to removed because the early debris had already been removed.

Bob Wilson

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was that Magnuson in Auburn?

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. Everywhere else quoted me $280-$300.