1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Att: Bob W & Jayman: New oil product!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edthefox5, May 21, 2008.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys,
    Check out what my favorite high performance oil people have just released. Wish they had that when my car was new:

Red Line Oil: Motor Oil

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually I'd prefer to get a base, synthetic transaxle oil without additives. Then have a separate additive bottle that I can use for accelerated testing of yellow metal and dielectric properties.

Bob Wilson

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would *not* use that additive in any modern motor. At the very least, it will do nothing, and may even cause damage

Where I absolutely *would* use that product is if I rebuilt a motor myself, the "old fashioned" way without benefit of CNC machining, modern moly rings, etc. Then it would be appropriate. Most high quality crate motors are built the modern way, so that product isn't needed

Another suitable use for that additive is in an original car or truck with flat tappet lifters. The ZDDP will help protect the camshaft lobes. Especially a solid lifter muscle car like a Camaro, Barracuda, Mustang, etc with very high valve spring rates. ZDDP forms a film on the lobes that helps protect them from scuffing/wiping

Modern engines have no need for ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate). The few motors that still use pushrods have gone to roller lifters, all but eliminating the possibility for camshaft lobe wear

The use of such an additive in a modern motor is being phased out due to the possibility of ZDDP to cause early failure of the O2 sensors and catalytic converters.

I would also not try this product in the Prius cvt. It's inappropriate for that environment, and the ball bearings used in the transmission have no need for it

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius