1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attaching front plate holder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gforeman, Jun 3, 2007.

1. gforeman

gforeman New Member

Has anyone here attached their own plate holder? I picked the car up over the state line and only a 60-day rear temp plate is on it. They offered to install the holder, but I'll do it when the permanant tags get here.

I see the dimples to use as reference, I was just wondering if those huge self tapping screws actually bite into something more solid behind the front painted bumper?

I will drill some pilot holes first.

I will also replace the screws with stainless steel to prevent rusting also.

2. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey G-man. I installed the bracket myself. When you pre-drill into those two dimples, you'll immediately notice there's really not much behind the plastic bumper. Felt just like foam to me. Regardless, the plastic bumper alone provides plenty of grip for the self-tapping screws. Just make sure you do not over-tighten! No way your bracket will come off, unless you're in a car accident or take a hammer to it. I've been meaning to replace the coated screws that came with the bracket with stainless steel ones, but keep forgetting.

Good luck!

3. gforeman

gforeman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jun 3 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]454685[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I'll hit the Lowes this week and see if they have self tapping screws that size in a SS flavor. I already have SS 6mm bolts to go in.