1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attempting to get our original 01 Prius back on the road

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by EarthSteward, Aug 19, 2018.

1. EarthSteward

EarthSteward New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Got our old 01 Prius back. 354,000 miles. It had a corroded battery sense lead so gave error of separated high voltage wire and continued to run. It was abandoned by subsequent owner for about eight months. Jumped 12 volt battery and drove it 50 miles home. Major issue was 3” of water in spare tire well so here in Alabama, it grew mold inside quite well. We pulled HV battery and found a sense wire corroded and broken at the multi-pin connector. Attempted repair by inserting small copper wire into where connector socket had corroded. All cells read either 7.77 or 7.78 volts (100K miles on rebuilt battery pack with Gen2 cells) Removed everything from interior (including HV computer) and pressure washed with mild bleach solution inside and out. Now it looks and smells much better, but has issues.
    Now shows hybrid, battery and brake warning lights. Runs with fast idle and does not appear from display to be charging HV battery. (Sitting at one bar with no input arrow). I have a MINI-VCI J2534 Standard OBDII communication interface which I have never used. Would this be useful in diagnosing the problems we have created? And if so, what do I need to do to make it work? We are attempting to revive car so our niece who is now living with us will have a car to commute 30 miles to Community College. Little invested in it at this point other than labor. Also needs new tires.

2. EarthSteward

EarthSteward New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also let sit for 5 days with a dehumidifier inside before hooking batteries up.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes minivci will help pinpoint the problem.

Double check proper toque of all buss bar connectionswith an inch-pound torque wrench in hv battery module posts as well as contactors. Look at connecter and open the HV battery computer and check for corrosion as well. Replace if necessary.
    Double check 12v battery voltage when sitting and under load. Maybe there is a high voltage leak somewhere of the battery modules we're leaking or the wire harness grounded out.

4. EarthSteward

EarthSteward New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I bought the mini-vci years ago before I sold the car, but never used it. I only have the mini-vci no software or instructions. Is there anywhere to get the software, or should I just buy another one, and if so which one? I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and I believe a neighbor has an XP laptop. Thanks!

5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if any of the software will work on a MacBook. But it will work on an XP or a later version of Windows in an XP emulator. You should be able to find the software on the net and download it. It's pretty much all pirate ware from china so be sure to run it through a malware or antivirus filter. If I find mine, I'll give it to you. I've got it installed on a static (not internet connected) XP laptop. So having a disk copy is not important to me.

6. EarthSteward

EarthSteward New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I will check torques on connections and measure cell voltages. I am concerned that the HV battery is discharging, but not charging. It starts and runs the car, but does not seem to be recharging. I don’t want to discharge the battery! Or recharge individual cells, it appeared well balanced before I put back in car.
    I could set up a solar array to recharge while working to resolve these issues. What is a safe max charging current? The max I could get from a PV array is around 9 amps. I could reduce that significantly. And at what voltage is the battery bank charged? Does anyone have Voltage/Current/State-of-Charge graphs for this battery bank?

What would I search for on the net for software for the Mini-VCI?

7. EarthSteward

EarthSteward New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    pulled the HV battery again, pulled the battery computer and opened it. It looked like new. Put everything back together and now the HV battery charges. Don't know what happened. Possibly the car was doing one of those equalizing cycles of deep discharge? Still have the code for the snapped HV wire, but know what it is and that the cells are well balanced at mid-charge. No other codes with simple scanner. Am hesitant to pull again to replace the cell monitoring harness. Perhaps getting the scanner working and running the scanner regularly is a better solution. Took off the seat covers and ran through the washing machine with soap and bleach. Look like new w/ 354,000 miles!

8. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Google it. Search term "techstream"

9. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Second what Brian says. Get the Techstream and you'll see what's going on much better. I've got a Delphi and thought that would be okay but the Techstream is better. Same with Renault that I work on, the CLiP is much better because it's specific like the Techstream and Toyota.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a recent convert to the Way of Techstream, here is what I did. :)

Go here ScanGuage AE Pig-tail, code flasher, and TechStream | Page 2 | PriusChat and look for the droop box link. It has several versions of Techstream. I am personally using the 10.00.028 version from that link. Do what the post says, in the order it says it (install Techstream, don't start Techstream, install Mini-VCI drivers, check the IT3System.ini file, then plug in the mini-VCI and start Techstream).

If your Mini-VCI came with a CD, the CD may have a copy of Techstream on it. Mine did, but I didn't use it. There was a note on that CD that after installing Techstream, I needed to replace one of the Techstream .exe files with one provided on the CD. The Techstream from droop box worked out of the box without replacing any .exes.

I am using Techstream on 32-bit Windows XP on a PC. (Nearly all of the machines you will still find that run XP will be 32-bit; 64-bit XP showed up relatively late in the XP lifecycle and not that many machines had it.) 32-bit Vista or 7 probably also works, but I have not personally tried it. I am told you have to do a dance with the mini-VCI driver to get it to work on 64-bit Windows, which I also haven't personally tried.

You do need Java on the Windows box. Probably most Windows boxes will already have it; I had to reinstall it on mine, because I took it off a couple of years ago when I didn't have anything that needed it. Techstream wants at least Java 6 - in theory, Java 7 or 8 will also work, but I couldn't get 8 to install on XP. I ended up using Java 6u33. You can get old versions of Java directly from Sun Oracle (you have to sign up for a free account) at Java Archive Downloads - Java SE 6 .

It probably won't work at all on a Mac, unless you have Windows in a VM. It's simpler to use a PC first, so you know Techstream and your mini-VCI works, and then try to move it to a Windows VM.

I hope this helps!

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  11. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    And have a dedicated old XP laptop for diagnostics. No antivirus and no firewalls therefore no network connections either. Everything is guaranteed to run.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

mroberds and Brian in Tucson like this.
  12. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I did. My ancient Dell was only $35 and is like new. Installation was a piece of cake on an XP machine, it's a static machine (no internet) that never needs updates. Always on its charger, always ready to roll.

mroberds and Itsmeonprius like this.