1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attention anyone who lives in a hot climate...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by treehggr, Jun 29, 2007.

1. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello,

Just curious what kind of MPG everyone is getting during these hot summer months?

Right now I'm working on my best tank so far. I have 3 bars left on the fuel gauge and am at about 375mi and am getting 62.9mpg. Just hoping I can hold it there until the next fillup. It's hard to with all of the speeders here and the minimum speed limit being 45. I used to be one of those people that had to drive 10-15mph over the limit until I picked up my Prius and am now obsessed with getting the highest mpg possible :D .

I know it's been over 108 for a while now, just wondering what others are getting in this hellish heat.

2. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Jun 29 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]470301[/snapback]</div>

not in arizona... but i'm in the heat too..... socal desert... and my mileage is horrible! my display is showing 44 mpg.... UGh!!!!!!! (we've been around 108 in the high desert... and it bumps up to 114-116 when we head down to the low desert!)

3. wbuttler

wbuttler New Member

"I know it's been over 108 for a while now, just wondering what others are getting in this hellish heat."

all the way at the bottom of southeastern new mexico with 100-104 temps at this point...
    mpg per tank running from 46.5 to 49.5 but i always have
    a head wind.......

Froley

4. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    49.2 mpg this tank. It's only my 3rd tank though, so the car isn't yet past the 5K break-in. I also usually have 5 people in my car, and I think that affects it more than running the a/c.

5. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Same here, I am now on my 3rd tank also. Can't wait to see if the mpg's go up after break in period.

6. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Well here in GA it's been over 90F almost everyday. I can understand why some of you don't get great mileage when it's hot, the AC, but without the AC I'm hitting just at or a little above 65 MPG. The last two tanks have been 66 MPG. And this is on my old 2002 Prius.

I guess the question is, do you guys use your AC, or do you suffer a bit?

7. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Jun 29 2007, 09:56 PM) [snapback]470502[/snapback]</div>
    it's 108 (getting to 118 over the next few days).... i USE A/C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. wbuttler

wbuttler New Member

"I guess the question is, do you guys use your AC, or do you suffer a bit?"

AC but at a reasonable temp

Froley

9. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am getting about 51 on this tank, all city driving. It's abut 80F here. When my friend drives my car, he gets more (which makes me mad since he is learning to drive). However, I don't get honked by other drivers to speed up like he does, so this makes me feel a little better.

I get about the same in highway during this kind of temp. I have 7700 miles.

I really want to get a 55 mpg tank one of these days. Yeah, yeah I do P&G. :unsure:

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's been between upper 80s and low 100s here with positively nasty humidity for the last month or so. the last tank i just finished off was 42 mpg, down from my usual 44.

my average trip is right around 3 miles so the mpg is low to begin with. i don't do heat well, it makes me feel ill, so the AC is always going. it's worse when DH is in the car, where it's cranked to max cold. we are both speeders as well. [shrug]

11. 007Prius

007Prius New Member

It's been high 80's low 90's here in West/Central Florida, the A/C is always running to keep me comfortable due to high humidity, so far 50mpg but it's still breaking in, the worst part is when sitting at a traffic light for 5 minutes, that's when the main battery drains down to 2 purple bars(thanks to the A/C) but it quickly recovers once I start moving again.

12. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As for air conditioning, I keep mine on the coldest setting at the lowest speed. That seems to work fine for me.

13. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

I'm getting 38 miles per gallon on my Toyota Prius, but I do have the air conditioner on, and my son drives it on the highways real fast. I have a 2007 Prius.

Mary

14. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I use the A/C, usually set on medium or lower. Even though it's really hot outside, the a/c on the car is darn good, so much that any higher than medium I get cold!

15. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, here in Swampville, we keep the AC on ALL the time - my wife, bless her, is in that dreaded menopausal era, and thus suffers terribly with the heat. Sooooo . . . .AC.

This is our brand new car, used about half highway, half city - and I estimate that we're getting around 38 mpg. But then, I'm not one to track it carefully. I just try to drive sensibly,and to take advantage of what I consider to be a great car!

We luv the Prius, and yet are still trying to get used to a whole different way of driving. So far, so good. . .meanwhile, we just can't WAIT for November! Ahhhhhhhh. . . . .

16. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It has been mostly in the nineties here since I last filled up a bit over five hundred miles ago. It drops into the high fifties late at night, but I do most of my driving during the day. The air conditioning is set at 76. My trips are typically about 8-10 miles in length, mostly suburban and about 30-50% freeway. Thus far, the average MPG on this tank is 54.8 with two bars remaining on the fuel gauge.

17. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Froley @ Jun 30 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]470627[/snapback]</div>
    i've found 78-79 to be my "sweet spot" and i do turn the fan down to medium or lower once i'm cool... AND i have the vent blowing directly on me intially! that helps me to keep the temp higher! (i used to just automatically put my card to low then adjust up once i was cool..... i've never put the prius on low (is there a low even?

it was 114-116 when i was in the low desert today! i'm glad to be back home where it's now below 100 (96 at 9 pm)

18. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

Wife and I drove from Ca central coast to Winslow, Az yesterday. Temps ranged from 90's in Ca at start to 113 at the Colorado River to mid 90's around Williams and Flag and back to 100's in Winslow. All highway and freeway driving from 55 to 75 mph. Averaged around 50-52 mpg. Ran out of gas about 10 miles east of Flag. We were getting such good mileage and with 3 blocks left on the guage thought we'd have no problem getting a 600 mile tank. Last three blocks and blinking block just practically flashed by. Drove about two miles on electric back towards a Pilot station. Luckily, a good samaritan with a gas can in the back of his pickup gave us a gallon of fuel. Put 11 gals on top of the gal? given to us.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We broke 60F today; does that constitute a hot climate? I might put on shorts later, maybe go to the beach.

Tom

20. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's warming up here again - low 80s to low 90s. The best tanks I've had have all ocurred when the weather was (uncomfortably) warm. My best so far is 52 MPG (usual is 46 - 48 MPG). I've found that running the A/C on its two lowest settings is perfect - enough to cool the car and keep it bearable while not cutting into the mileage so far as I can tell.