1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attic Insulation

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SSimon, Aug 24, 2006.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We own a single story ranch house w/out a basement and our heating bills are about $300/month in the winter. Last year I put that plastic film on my windows and sealed up a bunch of cracks. This made a huge difference. We were saving about 30% in heating costs. Now I'd like to tackle our attic insulation. Currently it's the kind that's blown in. I called my local hardware store who informed me that this stuff should sit a couple inches above the rafters and ours sits well below. He said he could order the roll out kind that comes in sections and we could just lay this on top of the old insulation. Does anyone have any suggestions about the kind to use? Are there energy rating requirements I should look for? Since I know so little about the topic, I'm not even sure what kind of questions to ask. Any input anyone has would be appreciated. I'd like to focus on recycled materials but don't know how easy this is to obtain.

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The hardware store is right. Be careful not to step through the ceiling!

Nate

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    SSimon, you just described my house exactly (except that my blown-in insulation is actually well deepter than the rafters). I have (gasp!) oil heat, and I'm thinking about switching to natural gas... have to dig in from the street to get that, and then some new appliances.

What's the film you speak of, and how much does it cost? What kind of windows? Newer windows designed to insulate can help too, if you have very old or poorly insulated windows. Another no-brainer is a programmable thermostat. Relatively cheap and easy to install and can save you lots of money.

4. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Or you could add more blow in. The Loew's near us rents the machine for $20 and the blow in is cheaper the the fiberglass. Should be easier and prvide better coverage but I have not done it.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And the cellulose blow-in is mostly recycled material already, so it's probably easy to get. Here's Bob Villa's take ;)

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 24 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]308967[/snapback]</div>
    the film is made by 3m, i believe. you can tape it over your window well, or you can tape it over the entire window onto the wall. word of caution, it will peel paint off of whatever it's in contact with. since my windows are so old, i didn't mind much about the paint. i believe this was very instrumental in reducing my energy costs. you could actually see the plastic bubble out on really cold days. i don't use a/c much in the summer so i took it off about half of my windows but found it effective enough to make sure i'm going to reapply it this winter. it's not expensive (i think i covered two windows for about $10) and you should be able to find it at your hardware store. the film comes with the tape (or at least it should) and it comes in a big strip that you can cut to size or you can purchase in pre cut sizes.

i installed a new furnace along with a programmable timer already. the joker that installed sucked. i can't even run my fan without the a/c going on.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Blown in isn't that DIY.

I'd go with the Hardware store. They can also advise on the R factor but I'd put in as thick as I could.

I did my attic rafters with the roll out kind and it made a huge difference in my bill. I also installed a programable thermostat. I'm thinking of putting more insulation in the roof of the attic space as well.

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Go to www.rmi.org, the Rocky Mountain Institute, and download the Home Energy Briefs (pdf documents) on energy efficiency:

http://www.rmi.org/sitepages/pid167.php

2. Collect your last 12 months of energy bills and do an inexpensive energy audit of your home using James Dulley's energy audit form( http://www.dulley.com/). This will give you an Energy Efficiency Index (EEI) tied to your location, incorporating heating- and cooling-degree days (energy demand) for your site.

The EEI then helps you prioritize your needs and budget.

Depending on your EEI and climate, there is a wide variety of materials you can select to use. We live in a tract home in the Great Central Valley of California. I replaced the ceiling insulation with rigid polystyrene foil-face foam between the joists to achive R-50 in 15 centimeters of space. I then topped this off with two 20 cm layers of fiberglass "attic batts" to achieve a total of R-100 insulation.

Putting a thin foam gasket behind every switch and outlet plate in your home (less than $20) is the equivalent of plugging a one meter square hole in the front door.

Using these and other techniques we have kept cost to a minimum and our monthly utility bills average less than $30 per month year round - even in California's Great Central Valley where summer temperature can be very warm.

Pay back time on all of our improvements, minor and major: 2.5 years (compared to surrounding neighbors).

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow. Thanks for all the ideas. I now just have to get motivated to do something about this 'cause winter is almost here. Skruse and ichabod, thanks for the links. This has all been very helpful. I can't stand paying $300/month for heating in such a small space. My sister has a split level with four different floors and pays under 100/month so I know we have huge problems to contend with.

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    skruse, thanks for the links. awesome. now i see i need to be concerned about my crawl space too since i know it's lacking proper insulation. i feel like i should give you money from what i save on my bill!!!!