1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attn: Security Issue with the Prius!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This warning goes out to all those with the SKS-equipped Prius.

We all know that if the remote is inside the car, the car won't lock. We know that sometimes, if the key is in the cargo area, the car may start or it may not start (depending on how close it is to the interior sensor).

I know a few of you do keep the second key in the car (either because your wife/gf/sister/mother etc keeps her handbag in the car for a quick stop or you leave the key in your gym back in the car). Whatever the reason, the issue I've found is it is possible for ANYBODY to walk up to your car and unlock the car!

How??

Well my brother's key was in his bag in the boot. I locked the door using the SKS button on the door. Naturally, the warning beep for the "key left inside the vehicle" comes on. So I think, well yeah I know that, my brother's key is inside. So, I locked the car with the LOCK button on the remote. The car locks as it should.

However, my dad walks back to the car first while we finish up shopping. When we got back to the car, my dad was sitting inside the car. There are only 2 SKS keys. I have one, the other is in my brother's bag. How did he manage to unlock the car??? At first I thought "maybe I didn't lock the car after all" but I could've sworn I press the LOCK button.

When I went back home, I tried it again. I locked the car, placed the key inside the house so it's far away from the SKS sensor and tried the door handles. Nope, the car didn't unlock. However, when I tried to unlock via the hatch door, it unlocked!!!!

I repeated the test to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it was repeatable.

Long story short. Do not keep the key in the hatch!! Someone can walk up to the car and unlock the car from the hatch!

2. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 11 2007, 01:46 AM) [snapback]493896[/snapback]</div>
    Keeping your keys in or on your car is pretty stupid, frankly.

The reason that the rear hatch will open is because the RFID reader is in the bumper and its control module is near the spare tire. If the key is close enough, the tag can be read either by the antenna or by the module via stray signals. The antennas seem to be fairly omni-directional.

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Moral of the story is:
    Never leave the keys/fob in your car unless you have good full coverage insurance :D

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    you can solve this by wrapping up your key with some foil. I discovered this on a trip to an amusement park where the wife wanted to lock her purse in the car, after realizing why I was having problems locking the car I slid her key into a wrapper from some poptarts that my son had just ate and problem solved.

5. Bear68

Bear68 Member

YEEOOWWWW!!! Good Catch Tideland!! :eek:

I think I'll drop a call off to the techs at SET to clue them on this one.... The system is NOT supposed read a key inside the car for lock/unlock operations.... At least thats what they told us in all the training classes....

Thanks for the headsup!

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't have SKS. But I read another thread about this.

Solution: take battery out of fob you're leaving in the car.

Personally, I'd never leave any key of any kind in the car. I also don't leave keys to my house under the mat, flower pot or in one of those fake rocks.

7. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bear68 @ Aug 11 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]493994[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, the difference between engineering and technicians. How is the 'system' supposed to know the difference when it sees an RFID Tag from the hatch antenna? It can't. If the RFID Tag (FOB) is _just_ in range for the rear antenna it will authenticate... Whether it's in the car or outside of it. The antenna's can detect the FOB from three feet - inside or out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Aug 11 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]493978[/snapback]</div>
    Nicely done!
    Great use of materials at hand. Sure beats disassembling the fob to remove the battery or otherwise muck with it.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course you're not supposed to leave the key in the car. My brother did cause he was at the beach (also not supposed to leave the key in the bag unattended at the beach but that's another story).

The point is, if you do (accidentally or intentionally) leave the key in the hatch area, just to let you know, it IS possible for someone to unlock the car. I don't know if the position matters (I assume it does.. i.e. if you leave it closer to the rear seats, you're safe, but not if you leave it by the cargo net or the hatch door) .

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 11 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]494012[/snapback]</div>
    What about using the On-Off switch under the steering column to turn off the SKS system if you are going to lock the Fob in the car? The key in the Fob lets you manually lock and unlock the car.

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good idea to turn off the SKS. Even with SKS off, the buttons on the fob should still work to lock and unlock.

11. ruaqt

ruaqt Junior Member

The salesman at the Toyota dealership warned me about this when I bought the car. Turning SKS off seems like a good suggestion.

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 11 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]493997[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I love those fake rocks! "Look, I'm a key hider!" Especially when people leave those labels on them :D

13. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 12 2007, 01:23 AM) [snapback]494010[/snapback]</div>
    From what I 've read about SKS, there are 2 oscillators at the hatch:
    [attachmentid=10571]
    The Back door oscillator (inner) works together with the Room oscillator to determine whether the Fob is inside the car. If the Fob were to be detected by the Door oscillators or the Back door oscillator (outer), then the 'system' determine that it is outside the car.

Attached Files:

14. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You know that the strength of the EMF signal is inversely proportional to the distance
    between transmitter and receiver. The principle is at play here. The processing unit
    compares the stretch of signals from all oscillators, in and out, to determine (better say 'guess') whether the transponder is inside or outside. If the transponder is near the front seats, I would say the chance of error is very small. However, if the transponder is near the hatch, the chance of error would increase.
    Just my guess :D

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vincent1449p @ Aug 13 2007, 02:19 AM) [snapback]494595[/snapback]</div>
    Given that, then the inside one should detect (and it did cause I couldn't lock the car via the SKS buttons) and yet it still allowed the hatch to be opened? What happen if I have the SKS on the front seat? (not that stupid but would the same principle apply?)

16. jasingjo

jasingjo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Aug 13 2007, 06:04 AM) [snapback]494598[/snapback]</div>
    Thats a great explanation; there is also a a setting in the body ecu that controls functionality to open the trunk if the key is detected inside the trunk area. You should check that that option is indeed disabled by the dealer.

17. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jasingjo @ Aug 13 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]494769[/snapback]</div>
    Aha! Now it makes sense. The car knows the fob is inside, but it assumes you've left it there by mistake. So it's allowing you to open the hatch rather than be stuck with your keys locked in the "trunk."

Those of us who never remove the fob from our pockets won't ever set down the keys/fob in the cargo area, but this feature could be helpful for those who leave the fob in a bag (handbag, attache case, etc). While working in the cargo area, it's easy to put down your bag, then perhaps forget to take it before closing the hatch.

18. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So this means my lost key isn't in the car anywhere. Nice to know!

19. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkMN @ Aug 13 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]494783[/snapback]</div>
    My thoughts exactly!!!! :lol:

20. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 14 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]494721[/snapback]</div>
    I think jasingjo has your answer! There is indeed an option called KEY_IN_TRUNK which allows you to open the trunk when the key is detected inside the trunk. My guess is if you left the SKS on the front seat, it would be detected by the Room oscillator rather than the Back door oscillator (inner), so it should not be considered as in the trunk. Perhaps you might want to try it out?