1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Attribution

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Dec 21, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Attribution is studied in social psychology. It has to do with how people view the motivations of others. In other words, what does John thinks motivated Fred when Fred kicked John's dog. Two broad categories of motivation are "internal" and "external." If Fred kicked the dog because he's a bad person who hated John because John has such a nice dog, that's an internal motivation. It's something within Fred that motivated him. If he kicked the dog because the dog bit him, that's an external motivation. He kicked the dog because of something outside of himself, i.e. the dog's attack. Americans are much more likely to attribute internal motivations than are some other societies.

The above information comes from The Psychology of Human Behavior, lecture series from The Teaching Company, taught by Professor David W. Martin, professor of psychology at North Carolina State University.

What follows are my thoughts:

A big difference between liberals and conservatives when we quarrel over foreign policy is that conservatives attribute internal motivations to people, while liberals tend to attribute external motivations. A liberal is more likely to believe that people are all basically the same, and external factors shape their actions. A conservative is more likely to think that anybody who does not like him is a bad or evil person who is only motivated by a desire to cause harm wherever and however he can.

Thus an Iraqi fighting against the Americans is defending his country if you are a liberal, but he's a crazed terrorist if you are a conservative.

Look at W's rhetoric. Everyone he doesn't like is an "enemy of freedom," or "just hates us because we're free," or "envies what we have." In W's view these are bad people who would cause as much harm as they can regardless of the historical context (assuming W could understand such a concept). If you attribute internal motivations to your enemies, war is the only way to deal with them. And W's supporters are likely to be those people who buy into the belief that our enemies are motivated by internal factors. Such people cannot consider the possibility of external motivation because they have never studied the historical context of other cultures and so these do not exist for them.

A liberal, being inclined to attribute external motivations, is more likely to look at the historical context and think about approaches that take historical context and present reality into account. I.e., Why did this person do that, and what can we do to change the conditions that led to his actions?

But liberals and conservatives are operating under such different paradigms that in the national debate they just talk past each other, as we see constantly here in FHOP.

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel, analyzing your post shows that you are correct: we color our views of others by what we are. And you are liberal, so your view of "liberal" and "conservative" portrays liberals in a much more flattering light.

In a way, you've proven your thesis.

But I do think you're right that there is a difference in how we view the people who would kill us.

Conservatives do feel that people can "choose" their path, and recognize that a sizable minority in Islam belong to sects that have chosen to believe that killing infidels is acceptable. We find many of the leaders to be the sons of wealth and privilege, so we don't feel that the liberal idea ... poverty and dispair drove them to it ... has much credence. Instead, their internal quest for power and their personal corruption led them to leverage religious values to coerce and control others to do their bidding.

Further, young men have a need to belong and will take a chance with glory, even if it means self-sacrifice. That is true of rich and poor, and is probably related to skills sharpened during our ascent from a lower life form. The impact of a culture that rigidly controls the contact the young man has those of the opposite sex, denying his biological imperative to couple and reproduce by hiding even their faces under veils, further pushes the plebe into his act. These are the ones that liberals on focusing on when they say that conditions contribute to their actions, and we can agree to an extent.

But beyond understanding, what do we do about it? My answer will differ from yours, because I will kill before I am killed. I understand you may not hold to that ethic. I promise to feel sorry for the person dedicated to killing my wife and children as he dies. But I will not allow him to kill my family.

President Bush has never said that everyone that disagrees is an 'evildoer'. It is hard to say that we are at war in a defensive manner against "Islamism" or "Wahabism" or whatever you want to call this sect, because that is not very PC. But it is a war induced by a particular religious view that sees us, as well as them, better off dead.

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's also the fact that for nearly a century the West has imposed and supported despotic dictators on the Arabic world after defeating them in a world war for commercial control over the world. We have seen to it that the people of the region have no say in the affairs of their own government. And for slightly over half a century we have supported Israel in an ongoing conflict that has left countless innocents dead.

When you kill people, their surviving loved ones will hate you forever.

Conservatives see only the present conflict, and they see their enemies as evil people who want to kill us for no reason but their own evil hearts. Liberals are able to comprehend that the conflict has historical roots, and that we are paying now for a century of oppression.

And so we talk past each other, which was really the point of my original post.

As for people's attitude toward violence as a way to solve their problems, I am an atheist, but I have more respect for the teachings of Jesus than most Christians do! There's an irony!

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 22 2006, 05:33 AM) [snapback]365607[/snapback]</div>
    I hear this from time to time. Can you tell me what the governments were in the middle east in the 1800's? How about the 1700's?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 22 2006, 05:33 AM) [snapback]365607[/snapback]</div>
    Its a good point, and it is good to learn from history. So let's say we agree that over the last 100 years the people in the middle east have gotten a raw deal, and now they want to kill us. Fair enough. Do we let them?

You presume that Jesus was a pacifist. Most Christians do not.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Dec 23 2006, 03:46 AM) [snapback]365958[/snapback]</div>
    Then what's all this stuff about turning the other cheek, letting he who without sin casting the first stone, and loving your enemy? What, was he doing a standup comedy routine and ended it by saying, "NOT!"?

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Dec 23 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]365958[/snapback]</div>
    Before WW II the area now in dispute was part of the Ottoman Empire. For the most part, the three major religions lived side by side and more or less got along together.

You assume that if we got out of their countries and their lives and allowed them to govern themselves and allowed them to do what they like with their oil, that they would still want to kill us. I think they'd be too busy straightening out their own affairs to give us much thought, except as a customer for their oil.

Yes, when I read Jesus's words, I conclude that he was a pacifist. Most Christians reject Jesus's words in favor of Paul's.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 23 2006, 07:29 AM) [snapback]365995[/snapback]</div>
    These kind of quotes are to the Christian what the Creationist and ID quotes are to the scientist.

By which I mean that the answer is not as simple as writing a bumper sticker and repeating it for "points" in a discussion.

There are denominations that are pacifist (such as the Friends/Quakers), but even their pacifism is not based simply on the admonitions Christ had to the people about their personal behaviors. All Christian denominations have theology that has evolved and progressed based on their interpretation of scripture, church history and inspiration. They have universities dedicated to the study of these issues, and the volumes that are written discussing them are enormous.

Here's my understanding: Most Christian denominations believe that Christ spoke to the individual about their actions, and actively eschewed interfering with the secular government. When asked about paying money to the occupying government for taxes, Christ said to "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's". This was a huge issue among the Jews, who felt that only God deserved to be given "tribute".

When a Roman Centurion came to him, a member of a ruthless army that subjugated Jesus's own people, and said "I direct men's actions every second, what must I do to get right with God" Jesus didn't have a "pacifist" answer. He didn't say to quit the army and work for peace. He sent him back to his job and said to sin no more. He sent him back to the army that would soon kill him.

If Jesus' mission were to overturn man's civil governments and interfere with their ability and motives to wage war, he would have had different answers to these two situations. He would have said to not support the government that waged war and oppressed his people (as Barabbas is said to have done). And he would have told the Centurion to turn from his wicked, war-like ways and embrace peace.

Pacifisim is a perfectly fine position for a Christian to take, because you can apply Christ's admonitions the wider actions of the government you support. And a Christian can take a pacifist position for a particular issue even if he generally isn't a pacifist. But it is certainly not required.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 23 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]365999[/snapback]</div>
    I think they will kill each other first. My immediate concern is not with the oil, or the terrorism that is headed our way, but with the millions of lives that are at stake. Are you old enough to remember the Khmer Rouge? I was horrified at that, and wished we had the resolve to stop Pol Pot.

About Jesus and Paul, I would submit that Paul was at least as much a pacifist as Jesus personally. Both submitted to the ruling government and allowed themselves to be executed when they could have called for action by their followers to save them. And both supported the same statements and teachings that modern day folks use as proof texts for pacifism. Do you have any specific writings of Paul in mind when you say he wasn't a pacifist?

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Dec 23 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]366102[/snapback]</div>
    Taken in the contest of Jesus's attitude toward money, I take his reply to have had the tone of "Shove Caesar's money up Caesar's a$$."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Dec 23 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]366102[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I remember the Khmer Rouge. I was draft age (and refused) during the Vietnam war. Remember how the Khmer Rouge came to power? Cambodia had a neutral government under a prince whose name I cannot spell, but which was pronounced [see-ha-nook]. On the advice of Henry Kissinger, Nixon ordered the "secret" and illegal bombing of Cambodia, which destabilized and toppled the prince, who the U.S. managed to replace with a puppet who was too weak to hold power, and the Khmer Rouge took over.

As so often happens, a bunch of genocidal maniacs comes to power after the U.S. topples a neutral government, thinking we can control a puppet. We do it over and over. And then we insist that we need to go in and take out the maniacs. In order, of course, to replace them with another weak puppet who will do our bidding until he's replaced by more maniacs.

Not specifically regarding pacifism, but Paul said that governments are instituted by god and that people have an obligation to serve and obey their government. I don't believe Jesus ever said such a thing, and I don't believe he believed such a thing. I know Christians who believe that Jesus's entry into Jerusalem was an attempt at a nonviolent overthrow of the Roman government.

Of course, according to Paul's words, Saddam Hussein was put in power by god and deserved respect and obedience. Likewise all the other governments of the world, whether we like them or not. Including loony George III, who our founding fathers rebelled against, in violation of Paul's edict. Fortunately for anyone who thinks our form of government is better than Britain's, the founding fathers were not Christians. Personally, I think the parliamentary system is more democratic than ours.

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 22 2006, 12:16 AM) [snapback]365509[/snapback]</div>
    Of all the pompice BS I've read in FHOP, this comes close to taking the number 1 spot in terms of pure idiocy. daniel, you can condense this lb of bs into an ounce that simply states: "i think conservatives are narrow minded fools."

...or are YOU trolling?