1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audi A-REV: sounds like Volt 2.0

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by dknight16, Nov 3, 2011.

1. dknight16

dknight16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The Audi A1 e-tron is an electric car with a range extender. Its output of 75 kW (102 hp) enables the A1 e-tron to reach a top speed of 130 km/h (80.78 mph). If the battery runs out of energy, then a compact combustion engine – the range extender – recharges the battery as needed to boost the vehicle's operating range to as much as 250 km (155 miles). This compact electric car is a zero-emissions vehicle for the first 50 kilometers (31 miles) of a trip – in city traffic, for instance. The battery comprises a package of lithium-ion modules mounted in the floor assembly in front of the rear axle. In short, the four-seat A1 e-tron was designed for daily driving in metropolitan areas. It consumes a mere 1.9 l/100 km (123.80 US mpg), for a CO2 equivalent of just 45 g/km (72.42 g/mile)*.

2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    It's more like a Volt 0.6:

The Volt outputs 111 kW (149 hp) and has a top speed of about 161 km/h (100 mph). The Volt total operating range on battery and a full tank of gas is about 783 km (486 miles). The Volt's all-electric battery range is 83 km (52 miles). The Volt consumes a mere combined weighted average of 1.2 l/100 km (196 US mpg) for a CO2 equivalent of just 27 g/km (43.4 g/mile).

Of course, these efficiency numbers for both the A1 e-tron and the Volt are European (NEDC) estimates which are very optimistic. EPA equivalent numbers are quite a bit lower. Think of these numbers as being like the "15 mile" PiP battery range. They are possible under favorable conditions and careful driving.

3. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds good but 81 mph top speed is not that much

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have more interest in this A1 over the Volt because of the ICE in the concept, a 253cc Wankel rotary. With that engine the E-tron maintained the passenger and cargo space of the ICE A1. Unfortunately, it may not make it into the production model, but those numbers are with the rotary.

The other numbers are excessive for most people's needs. There is an interstate by my parents where I can, not legally, get by doing over 80mph. With speed limits and traffic, I only get up to 60. Others might be doing 70 in the 55, but only nutjobs would be going faster. It's a second slower to 60 than a Volt. Which isn't much out on the streets. Handling is a much more useful performance area for the day to day than pure acceleration.

With my longer than average commute, I'd be stopping at a gas station once a week. Which is what I do now, and what I did with the Prius. If I was able to charge at work, I might not burn any, or very little, gas. In which case, the A1 is hauling around 36 less pounds than the Volt. The tank range may not work for all, but it does for at least 80% of the population.

Don't get me wrong, longer electric range would be nice. However, in addition to space and weight issues, the battery is the most expensive component for an EV or PHV. Final judgements on whether it's too little are going to have to wait on the final price.

Here's an older thread on it:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-ev-alt-fuel-news/97507-audi-a1-e-tron.html

5. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The A1 e-tron is about 1.5 feet shorter, has 2 doors plus hatchback, and has 4 seats. A T-shaped battery pack is located in the center and under the back seats as in the Volt.

The gas-only mileage works out to 39 mpg versus 47 mpg for the Volt on the same NEDC test cycle. The battery range per nominal kWh is low compared to a Volt. The Volt is 3.25 miles per nominal kWh capacity and the e-tron is 2.58 or 25% less which probably means they are using 50% of the pack (as the Volt was initially described) rather than the 65% used in the production Volt.

As far as I know, there is no announced pricing and this is just a prototype vehicle right now. The shorter size could be an advantage for some people or they could prefer the styling. Maybe the Wankel will have less vibration and noise than the Volt engine for those occasions when you need it.

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any chance GM is licensing some of the Volt patents to Audi?

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those numbers are from the concept vehicles with Wankel. It may also be a pure serial hybrid which would mean a hit in highway fuel economy. VW corporate may not want to spend the money to develop a production version of that engine. (I'd talk to Mazda, personally) Audi is introducing a series E-tron versions of their models. The A3 EV should be coming to the US. We don't even get the regular A1 here, so this PHV may be designed with just Europe, and maybe Japan, in mind. They do refer to it has a city car.

I want to see a rotary in a PHV. Economy and emissions can be a challenge with them, but for their size, no piston engine can match their power output. This engine is 0.253 liters in displacement. It could probably fit on a lawnmower. It gets worse mileage than the Volt, but when prices drop on batteries, the rotary genset is a smaller burden vehicle. It even makes a removable range extender easier to deploy.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It sounds like you're saying the PiP range of 15 ev miles is possible under favorable conditions ... but not stating that the Volt's 50 ev miles is only possible under favorable conditions ... I'm just saying .... if you're thinking Volt's 50 EV miles is an absolute, nothing could be farther from the truth:
    Getting 25 Miles of Electric Range or Less in the Chevy Volt

9. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    That certainly wasn't my intent. Try reading my paragraph again:

"Of course, these efficiency numbers for both the A1 e-tron and the Volt are European (NEDC) estimates which are very optimistic. EPA equivalent numbers are quite a bit lower. Think of these numbers as being like the "15 mile" PiP battery range. They are possible under favorable conditions and careful driving."

My intent was to apply "favorable conditions and careful driving" to the NEDC estimates for the E-tron and Volt as well as the "15 mile" PiP battery range.

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two