1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audi Diesel Economy Run in large cars

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by kgall, Sep 9, 2013.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a press release from Audi, about an economy run led by Wayne Gerddes, in two of their larger cars, the A-6 and A-7 models, new to the US with 3.0 L TDI (turbodiesel) engines. (The VW 48 state economy run that I think Gerdds was involved in a while ago used the smaller 2.0 L TDI that VW/Audi use in their smaller diesels sold in the US/Canada.)

They say their route will be over 2800 miles. I believe the cars have about 19.8 gal. fuel tanks. So, they will average about 60 mph; and to make it in 4 tanks they will need to do about 36 mpg or better, if I've got it right. Since the A-6 TDI has an EPA rating of 38 mpg highway, with an expert leading the way, this publicity tour ought to work pretty well.

Clearly this does not pose a threat to the Prius market. (I wonder what Gerddes would get on the route driving a Prius at an average of 60 mph.)
    But, as I've said before, the idea of getting people who generally buy big gas guzzlers into the idea that high MPG is cool is a really important part of reducing overall fuel consumption.

Newest Audi TDI® models powering “Truth in 48” challenge to drive from L.A. to N.Y. in 48 hours on four tanks of clean diesel fuel | AudiWorld
    (AudiWorld is an Audi fan forum website, kind of like PC, except it seems to have more input from Audi than PC does from Toyota.)

2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They finished and the numbers are out:
    Q5 38.623mpg 24.6% over EPA highway, average speed of 61.9mph
    A7 42.653mpg 12.25% over EPA highway, average speed of 62.175mph
    A6 43.561mpg 14.63% over EPA highway, average speed of 62.44mph

Very impressive numbers, considering traffic and fuel stops, they must have driven 75 when possible.

kgall likes this.