1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audi e3 etron

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by philliphs, Feb 9, 2015.

1. philliphs

philliphs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone. I just found out about the Audi e3 etron is technically a plug-in hybrid that acts as regular hybrid, exactly the same concept as prius plug-in hybrid. The only caveat is that they managed to squeeze a 6 DCT in the system instead of eCVT (Planetary gear system) on prius or any other toyota/lexus hybrids.

How can a company who is releasing its first gen plug in hybrid managed to do thing which a company that has more than a decade of hybrid technology?

I just find that hard to believe.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My concern about the e-Tron and Golf GTE is that they use a 3 clutch transmission!?! Thought the dual clutch system was a pigs ear, then wait for this overly complicated contraption.

Toyota seem to have had a change of management somewhere as they've dropped from being leader of the pack in 2010 when they were testing the Prius plug in when the only competition was the Volt, to being an 'almost ran' with the aged Prius and the frankly crap 10 EV range of the PIP.

If the gen4 Prius/gen2 PIP is a game changer, then Toyota will continue to hold the crown. If not, then they'll fade into just another option in the competitive low emission car market.

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP, there are people converting hybrids into plug-ins in their garage, don't need to be a company to do that.

EV driving with step gear transmission, I am not sure I would want that.

Recent VW/Audi DCT reliability issues

And, you can build as many plug-ins as you want; http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015-sales-chart-Jan-vfinal3.png

#3 Sergiospl, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is based off the system in the hybrid Jetta. It is just designed to be used with a traditional type of transmission. Hyundai's, Nissan's, and Honda's one motor system also do this. In theory it should save cost as opposed to having to make a separate gear set for the hybrids.The eCVTs in Toyotas and Fords are smaller and return better city numbers though.

Neither path is better than the other; just different.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why is this so amazing?

telmo744 likes this.
  6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I would like to hear (and I will), the maintenance issues with the 3 clutch system in the no so far future......:whistle:

valde3 and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  7. philliphs

philliphs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is some people out there wants step gear transmission as opposed to eCVT as Toyota's planetary gear system is prone to gear slippage, and they want more direct-connected feel to the wheels especially in more sport oriented models such as Lexus IS300h or GS450h.

I'm talking about Toyota in general. In prius it will be pointless as the first priority would be efficiency, but I can see it works in other sportier Lexus models.

Plus I think step gear transmission would prevent electric motor to run in higher end rpm in high speed, and keep it low rpm where it's more efficient.

8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    philliphs likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good news and bad news:
    An eCVT can be programmed to simulate a stepped gear transmission. The bad news is performance and efficiency suffer. There is no free lunch but it can be affordable.

Bob Wilson

philliphs likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The new, higher efficiency, Corolla uses a CVT. Subaru and Nissan use CVTs in their models. I think the Spark now has a CVT.

Some of them are programmed to act like a step transmission, but I think the people that really want to have gear shifts are going to die off, or buy a car with a manual.

In the realm of hybrids, there are step transmissions(Hyundai) and double clutch ones(Honda's new 1 motor system). So there is choice there also.