1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio cassette adaptor and option #9 stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bruce, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Does anyone use a mp3 player + cassette adaptor setup with the stereo that comes with the 2004 + option 9 stereo? My stero takes the cassette, tries to suck it down inside, and then spits it out because of the cable which connects back to the mp3 player.

Just checking if other people have run into this problem.

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have used one before, it did the same thing your's does. I did manage to get it to play once but that is it.

3. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Are you sure it's the lead that's a problem?

Works okay with mine - it has a mechanism to turn the other spool and the capstan; without this, many car cassette players will spit out the cassette thinking that the tape is broken.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have one of those. Same thing.

Figured it was because of the extra width of the wire so I rerouted it. Ended up moving the hole to the top of the "tape". It's not really a "hole" anymore but more of a "slit". This way, when the player sucks the tape in, the wire moves to the top of the "cassette" and doesn't get in the way.

5. Bruce

Bruce New Member

6. frbill

frbill New Member

I am using the XM Sattelite adapter that came with my Delphi Sky-Fi Radio. I use this radio in my office and house, as I have XM in the car. This adapter works perfectly well and I have never had a difficulty with it. It plugs into my Belkin iPod Car Adapter and gives a decent sound. Still waiting for Coastal Daves Solution that will allow me to have no wires showing. The XM adapter reminds me very much of the Sony adapter I got with an old cd player.

Good Luck

7. woemcats

woemcats New Member

Mine works great. It's a Sony I got for $20 at Best Buy.

8. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Here are some photos of the adapter I use (just a cheap one from Argos). Seems to work well, although it sometimes rattles a bit too much for my liking (you wouldn't notice in a conventional car, though!).

I too am looking forward to Coastal's AUX-in so I can fit my player properly in the pocket under the stereo. I hope it has a Mute output so the player only plays when AUX is selected, and pauses when there's a traffic announcement, or when I switch to radio. Anyone know for sure what to expect?

9. erinishuman

erinishuman Original Owner

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use the Sony $20cassette adapter as well (and I use it a lot), and it works perfectly fine. Never had a problem.

10. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My cassette adapter works fine, and the audio quality is FAR FAR better than the FM transmitter I tried (even after I hacked a big antenna onto the transmitter to boost the power up).

Dave.