1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio Contest

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kohnen, Aug 9, 2007.

1. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are folks who like to have contests to see which car stereo is the "best," typically meaning the loudest. For example,

http://www.termpro.com/articles/soundoff.html

Now, it seems to me that the Prius could be wired to kick some serious butt in this regard.

The Gen 2 has a 200 Volt battery that can spit out 20 kW of power without hardly breaking a sweat. Being an Electrical Engineer, I can tell you that it wouldn't take much work to set up an audio amplifier to run directly off of the traction battery, and kick out several kW per channel.

No spiffy alternators, no "stiffening capacitors," no additional batteries, just 20 glorious kilowatts of ear-drum bleeding power. And that would be in a perceived wimpy Prius of all cars!

I bet you could put together a Prius that would be a real sleeper, but really hard to beat!

Thoughts? Comments?

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would sound glorious.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That would be very kick-nice person. I'm not into stupid-loud, but it'd be great to see a Prius take a landslide, SPL victory.