1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

audio in

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fred, Dec 25, 2004.

1. fred

fred New Member

i have an 04 prius without the jbl system and without the nav system. i also have a roadie radio (ithink a roadie 2) ive beentold that instead of having to use the rotten pain in the neck fm modulator that i can hook up to the prius audio in and have pretty good sound. btw i do not have the cd chager just the single builtin cd player. i am and have been using the fm modulator but of course when you drive around you eventually find another station on your modulator . real hassel. i hope ive stated my problem in an understandable way. :( :(

so does my prius radio have an audio in?????

2. pepa

pepa New Member

No, your Prius radio does not have AUX in. But there are ways - here is what I did:

Order AUX-BOX.
    Order AB-TOY cable.
    Order Toyota part# 08695-00370 wire harness.

Follow the ilustrated installation guide to be found elsewhere in Audio and Electronics forum. I'd do it for you, but the search is giving me memory allocation errors, so I don't want to push it right now...

Search for AB-TOY or AUX-BOX, you'll find it.

3. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    While waiting for Coastal Dave's AUX-in kit I'm using the cassette adapter that comes with the Roady Car kit. It works fine except when I want to play a real tape cassette I have to eject it. You can buy the cassette adapters separately at Radio Shack etc.

4. fred

fred New Member

unfortunately i dont have the cassette just cd . im still thinkning on this . i even wrote to the aux people to see( sorry just to verify) if the 2 items recommended would work. no answer yet.

5. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is still one more way to solve your problem. Delphi and others sell a switch that interupts the antenna that brings the broadcast FM signals to the radio, and inserts just the FM freqency you select on the Roady2 and the FM radio. All other frequencies are blocked (except perhaps a very strong local FM signal as you pass it's antenna).
    When you deselect the X-M radio, the regular FM antenna is reconnected for normal FM radio operation. That should work well and costs under $100. I've seen them for less.

6. fred

fred New Member

steve, what a great idea! essentially im blocking my cars antenna and just using the satellite antenna. tell me more and where and what the heck its called (antenna interupter??) :idea:

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pepa\";p=\"59985)</div>
    I think the threads you're looking for are:

• Thanks for posting this, Pepa -- I'm also currently planning on seeing what Coastal Dave comes up with, but I'm curious about the alternatives!

8. pepa

pepa New Member

I was also waiting for the Coastal's aux-in. In the meantime, I tried some of these FM modulators, found them unacceptable. Poor quality audio, frequency drifts with change of temperature, saturated FM here in Chicagoland - it's hard to find empty frequency...

I got tired of waiting, and since Santa said I was good boy in '04 I ordered and installed the above setup. Little pricey - but it does work great! And my 20G Archos Jukebox fits in the front armrest compartment like if it was build for it :)

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Hmmm... you tempt me, Pepa, you tempt me!

10. cnetter

cnetter New Member

Pepa,

Which Archos do you have? I'm looking at picking up a Gmini120. I think it should fit nicely in the the box below the radio.

Chris

11. fred

fred New Member

i just ordered the aux-box , pac ab toy t and pac ab toy from car domain. they think that thats all ill need. we,ll see. this supposedly will make it so i can by pass the awful fm modualator i currently have to use for my roady xm radio. boy i hope it works! total cost was 98 dollars. 69 for the aux box. 16 for the pac ab toy t and 8 fpr the ab toy. they think the y cable adapter will come with it . if not i can get it from toyota.
    btw special thanks to bookrats for that great installation guide from chris dragon. however i am not putting it in myself. no sireee, bob. im going to have a pro do it.

12. pepa

pepa New Member

I have Archos Jukebox 20G, it's three years old, they don't sell it anymore. It is great unit though. I don't know much about the Gmini, but I do know that it only plays MP3s and has 20G HD.

You may like to also check AV100 series products instead. The size is the same as Archos Jukebox (fits nicely in the front shelf on armrest console). I'm actually considering buying this one, because they have version in 40G (AV140) and it plays not only MP3, but also video (DivX) and has video output that can be played on TV - hence through upcoming Coastal's Video-in! The best price I got is $308.

Side note - when you look at the Archos line of products and the pricing, I could never understand what is the iPod mania all about...

13. pepa

pepa New Member

fred,

they're wrong. You'll also need Toyota part# 08695-00370 wire harness - that's the cable that actually plugs in the CD changer connector on the back of the radio.

14. fred

fred New Member

pepa thanks a lot. i thought that might be the case. ill get that and then i think ill have every possible combo that exists. thanks again
    fred

15. fred

fred New Member

guys i finally got ALMOST all my stuff. it seems that so far they are right in requirements. now just to drive everybody nuts i have one more (right!). it looks like the end result is 2 rca cables.does that go to my speaker conector on my roady which is a stereo mini plug. i think but cant verify that i should get a double rca adapter to mini stereo adapter. boy i dont think im doing a good job of explaining this. i think thats the only connector i could use. also (alright i lied about only 1 question) would i still neet the cigarette lighter adapter for power???
    still workin on it....
    thanks again guys (and gals)

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. fred

fred New Member

thanks danny for your reply. although my new rca jacks are female i understand you picture. also, not to bug you too much did you indicate that after all this ill still need a cigarette adapter for power or will it get it from all my adapters aux box etc??
    thanks again

18. pepa

pepa New Member

fred,

the only thing you need to plug into the cigarette lighter outlet is your MP3 player or whatever you're going to use in the car. The AUX BOX gets the power from the radio. I'm not even doing that - I got the 2300 mAh batteries for my Archos and it lasts me three days of commuting...

You're almost there - happy listening!
    Now if and when Coastal Dave releases the audio/video AUX-IN, what the heck are we going to do with the AUX-BOX? :roll:

19. fred

fred New Member

pepa and danny thanks for your responses and patience. just to be sure (sometimes im like a little kid) even with my xm radio roady by delphi i will still not be getting power from my cars audio system even using the aux box and all the other connectors?? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

20. Swampthing

Swampthing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pepa\";p=\"64693)</div>
    No offense meant to Dave and I am sure he has alot on his plate, but it seems his Prius stuff is literally taking years to get released. Where is the video kit that was promised? The auxillary input? I would buy these in a minute, but the longer we have to wait, the more likely we are to find other solutions like the Aux-Box.