1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio install 2010 prius jbl upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Radiospank, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I've been lurking this place a few days now and I never even knew there was such a website with so much info for prius. Anyway I just got one and I am firstly a bass head but that does not mean I like a one note wonder sub response. I already have a pretty hefty box and amp and I just came on here to get info on installing in a prius.

So far I managed to tap in the factory amp outputs for a speaker level signal to my audiocontrol EQS. Now this got really confusing as I didn't want to cut holes or anything to route power wires and speaker wires. Eventually I gave in and cut a hole in the right rear where the battery sits. This leads to the plastic tub where the amp sit as well as my eq. All of this Is preliminary right now as I'm trying to see if a single sub would suffice, I was running a trunk setup before with 2 dd2510s roughly 2000 rms. will post pics tomorrow.

2. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    so these are the components I was putting in, I'm Goin to build another box to further maximize the space but it won't save that much as the box requirements are still rather large for these subs.

the wiring I tapped into was taped up as if it was spliced into but after removing the tape it was just there for grouping purposes. I found that weird, worked for me as they were the wires I needed to tap into anyway

Attached Files:

3. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on the new buy! The car is great as is the forum. I did a stereo system upgrade and found Prius chat the same way and now I'm hooked.
    I just have a single Boston 10" in my trunk and love the sound, bet yours will rock in the hatch. Enjoy!

4. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, it seems very active and knowledgeable.

I see you have the Audio control LC6I, I love their stuff. So the problem I'm having right now is I tapped into the Amps speaker outputs for the signal but I think it may be causing clipping to occur. I can only raise my volume to about 20 or so and after that the amp clips and subs turn off.
    It's definitely an Input thing because When I lower the volume (signal from JBL amps are lower) I can boost the level on my subwoofer no problem but its loud as heck, obviously overpowering my system. This leads me to believe that because I took the Outputs from the JBL amp and not from the Headunit (which is a lower voltage source) It's causing major clipping very early.

My question is did you tap in from the headunit? I'm going to try and tap into the HU source in the front kick panels and see how it goes.

5. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, it's sounds like the input is definitely too high. I don't have the JBL system so I don't know what the levels are between their head unit and amp but I would say definitely tap between them instead of after the amp.

I tapped my wiring at the door connectors, much easier and less wire to run than pulling the dash apart. Kick panel connections were a breeze to get to.

Check though, I just realized, my kick panel connector feeds the door speaker. If yours is the same, you will still be after the amp. Can you tap from the input connector right at the amp? That's your best bet I think.

6. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wasn't aware there was an input stage to the amp lol, as dumb as that sounds because naturally there has to be. I will search around more to find out because I don't have any tech info other than what's on this board, it's all kind of scattered. I can access the door and kick panel connections but as you said it would be the same as connecting to the output stage of the amp connectors

7. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    so I don't want to give any wrong info, after testing and troubleshooting I managed to get the subs working and it sounds great with the audiocontrol eqs. the problem wasnt tapping into the rear channels, it was just a loose connection to my subs. I realize this as the louder I played the more vibration it caused and thus losing connection, it also occurred when going over bumps which led me to believe it was a loose sub connection. anyway fixed that and now I can bump as loud as I want, but I'm in need of insulation treatment now. that would take priority over anything else.

Attached Files:

8. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's great that it all worked out. I love when issues take an easy fix. Congrats and enjoy! :)

9. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    update : Subs are cutting in and out, really annoying as I thought checking all connection and re wiring would fix it. Well it did but it seems that at lower volumes the sub works and the only way it will play full power is if i let the system play for a few mins at low volume. Then and only then can I turn up the bass and go as loud as i want.
    This is really a weird issue, I believe it has something to do with speaker level inputs. I've never had this problem with the same equipment on my aftermarket HU.

10. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you ever go back and tap into the inputs going into the jbl amp?
    If you want to spend $100 you could also try the Audio Control LC2i (?). It's a 2-channel line output converter, perfect for your situation. You can use it to adjust and maximize the speaker level input to RCA output conversion, just like my LC6i. Also it has circuitry to clean up the sound and the accubass.
    A funky question... When you first start the car and stereo and hear a lower level, are you parked or stopped? The stock stereos decrease the volume automatically when you are stopped. This may attribute to your issue as well, just a thought.

11. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes I tapped from the jbl amp outputs, also I do have an audiocontrol eqs which has the same function as the lc2 except the accubass. As to the input level I adjusted it lower and that seemed to do the trick, it will play loud as soon as I turn on the radio. I think the speaker level inputs are a bit more finicky than plain old RCA inputs. Now the problem is I have tons strong output but since I'm using the rear speaker outputs for a sub signal the front stage gets loud and my bass although very powerful, it's not getting to its full potential.

12. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think if I use aftermarket components for the front I could adjust the output to be lower and set headunit higher to maximize bass signal with my eqs