1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio. Is this an impending CVT or MG failure?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Duncwarw, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Duncwarw

Duncwarw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New guy here.

We're on our second Gen II and this '04 has developed a "rumble" reminiscent of a bad wheel bearing. I have replaced both front bearings and axles and have changed the fluid.

I love the Prii and may be buying another soon but it would be great to keep this one.
    It only had a quarter million miles on it!

Thanks, in advance.

WOOPS! Apparently audio files are not allowed.
    The rumble sounds like it's on the (U.S) passenger side and it constant (doesn't change when braking or turning) and sounds much like knobby tires. I have rotated tires, put on a different tire, and the noise persists. "axle end" temperatures are at most 10 degrees different from each other.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What kind of wheel bearings did you put on? If it's a cheaper part, it may just be a bad part.

3. Duncwarw

Duncwarw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha! I like the way you think.
    I was considering that but I have to say it sounds to me like it's closer to the other end of the shaft.

When I changed the fluid, I didn't see noticeable metal shavings, etcetera.
    I'm working crazy hours, but I want to get under there again and try to "stethescope" the location of the noise
    this week-end.

A couple of weeks ago, I pulled both front wheels, put the car up on stands, and watched the rotors.
    At "idle" the driver's side rotor was spinning and the right rotor sort of stopped and started.That's what got me to check temperatures after driving to work (thinking about a sticky caliper after changing pads and rotor).

There isn't much drag when I turned the rotor by hand and the temps don't show much difference and there's no "pull".

4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the sound change speed with the speed of the car or with the speed of the engine? My first thoughts would be CV Joints or wheel bearings, but you've replaced those. Other thoughts are the car's alignment, an issue with the tires, or suspension (specifically front struts).

My car developed a rumble for a couple hundred miles just before a tire blowout. It was very difficult to isolate the source - I thought it was from the rear passenger's side, but it was the front passenger's side that blew. There was nothing visible on the tire before it blew, except for a bit of dry rotting on the exterior (but only just a bit, if it was bad would have replaced them prior). New tires all around fixed it.

How old are your tires? Any recent big bumps/things you've hit that could throw out the alignment? Oil leaking from the struts (or other signs of being bad)?

5. Duncwarw

Duncwarw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good stuff.

I'd say the sound doesn't seem to change much with speed except that it "appears" to go quieter the faster I go but I think that could be attributed to wind and road noise. I suppose being faced with scrapping the car, I might go for another hub/wheel bearing. One of the thoughts I have about the noise is that it doesn't get worse over time.

As for alignment, you raise an interesting point.
    I replaced the outer tie-rod ends (a week or so apart) and sort of counted the turns and measures the toe with a couple of pieces of wood. When I took it for a "professional" alignment, I was told that the car would steer itself and things were loose in the front end. According to the dope at the tire chain store, "The mechanic would adjust it, drive it in the parking lot, and the car would pull to one side and be out of adjustment again". There is no play, no pulling, and the car tracks straight when I let go of the wheel on a flat surface.

I think I need to find a reputable "aligner".

Thanks for the response. I'm feeling better already.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two