1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio on/off - found new method!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by RtStuf, Aug 24, 2008.

1. RtStuf

RtStuf www.rtstuf.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After two months of delighted ownership of my '08 Prius I accidently found I could turn the audio on/off by pressing the "mode" button on my steering wheel twice!

2. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well done;)
    You know also if you keep pressing the "mode"button you can choose FM1,FM2,FM3,CD,AUX,and the up/down buttons below can choose stations/tracks in whatever mode you're in,
    I'm in Ireland and my local Toyota dealer gave me a loan of a Prius for a day back in 2006[even before i had ordered one]to check it out,the phrase "like a child let loose in a sweet shop"comes to mind when i think back,i think my wife thought she was single again on that day:p

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I suggest reading through the User-Guide. You'll find more tips like that, like holding the track/channel button to switch CDs.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have to try the double push...I've used the press and hold of the "mode" button to turn if off. I'm in an '04 so there may be some functional difference.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use press and hold also.

Tom

6. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Voice command "audio on/off" works too.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet I haven't used any voice commands beyond "Suspend Guidence" or "Fast food" for 2 years! Just ends up being more time consuming and frustrating most of the time than poking a button or two.

8. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I guess I should read the User Guide better. Thanks for the info.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a certain entertainment value to voice commands, trying to guess what the car will actually do with your command: "Showing sports stadiums", Jill says, but all I wanted was to suspend guidance.

Tom

10. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    She also thinks "drug stores" is "ski resorts". (The magic word in this case is "pharmacies", not drug stores.)

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tried the double click method this morning in my 07. Didn't work. Maybe I'm too slow?

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I use the [MODE] button all the time to switch the various - uh - modes. I whip through them pretty fast sometimes and have yet to accidentally shut off the audio. As Evan said, I'll check in my '04.

Here's one for the group. It's been bugging me for four years now. How do you move forward and backward in a CD other than "by track". Let's say I want to back up and hear the previous twenty seconds of a song. Or maybe I want to skip to the second verse. How do I do that?

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can do it, but it's not pretty.

You have to navigate to the "Audio" screen on the MFD. You can then use the "double-up" arrow on the screen to go forward and the "double-down" arrow on the screen to go backwards (or maybe it's the other way around).

I don't understand why the Toyota engineers didn't just implement what is the obvious thing to me: holding down the track forward and track backward buttons on the steering wheel to move around in the track.

EDIT: Errrr. . . rethinking this, I'm not 100% sure this works for CDs, but I know it works for my iPod with the DICE interface.

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Same here. All I ended up doing was changing modes. Press and hold works to shut it off, but I was not successful with the double click.

15. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sounds like something that belongs in the "Most Obscure Facts" thread. :)

Because that action's already implemented for changing discs, which is a pretty nice feature. I use it often. I rarely have a need to fast forward or rewind a song, so the long method described above is a good compromise. (I didn't even know that method even existed!)

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah. OK. That makes sense. I've never encountered this since we have a single-CD player. However, I agree with you; changing disks is something that one would definitely do more frequently than moving around in the track.

17. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Would be nice if the fast forward/rewind feature was available from the steering wheel for non 6-disc changer. The buttons are there already.

18. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have voice command too but it only works intermittently.....coincides with the missus being with me........"turn the stereo on there love":tsk:

19. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Generate a time-discontinuity quantum displacement singularity bubble next to you, step into it momentarily and then step back out. While you were gone for what felt like 1 second to you, 20 seconds have elapsed on Earth.

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well sure, that works for driving around town when I can step between quantum displacements easily but what happens when I need to rewind in the middle of a stretch of road? Besides, the last time I did that it knocked two bars off my SoC and wrecked my mileage.

Not so smart now, huh?

:loco: