1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

audio quality for ipod with no modifications?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jakebuddy, Jul 11, 2007.

1. jakebuddy

jakebuddy New Member

Hey there,

I'm a brand new member, and an expectant Prius owner. (My car should be here in about 3 weeks. The dealer says.)

I am definitely NOT technically savvy, and just want my car to work. One of the most appealing aspects of the Prius (other than, obviously, gas mileage and emissions) is the bluetooth-enabled feature with my phone and the ability to plug in my ipod nano directly into the car, nice and hidden, rather than using the rather clunky cigarette-lighter plug-in I use with my current car.

I'm very cautious about messing around with the car; I've read the posts, and I have a couple questions:

How is the SOUND quality for the ipod if I just let things be and plug it in to the car without any modifications? If I understand correctly from the posts, this means I would not be able to control the ipod through my car controls, but since I can't do this now, I won't feel like I'm missing much. I would, however, really like to get better sound than I do now, which is often full of static, as it comes through the FM radio.

Also, if I do eventually gather the courage and get one of these ipod gizmos (like DICE or what is it? Vais?) will Toyota install it? Will it void any warranty?

Thanks!

mousecat :)

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The sound should be fine. If you are charging the ipod while it is playing, you might need a ground loop isolator to eliminate any buzzing, but that's really just a cable or adaptor not a modification.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi mousecat, welcome to PriusChat. The iPod sounds pretty good when played through the AUX port. There's a socket inside the center console and you need a cord with a stereo plug at both ends to connect your iPod. The only thing I've noticed is that you have to turn the volume on the iPod to maximum to get a good level match, like going from iPod to FM.

If you eventually get a DICE or Vais iPod adapter, it's doubtful if a dealer would install it, though it will not void any warranties. Any car-audio installer can put it in, you can even do it yourself with instructions on here.

If you're getting the 6-CD in-dash player, you can burn a lot of music on 6 MP3 CDs and maybe not even use the iPod as a car source.

Congratulations on picking a Prius. Let us know when you get it!

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 11 2007, 11:21 PM) [snapback]477369[/snapback]</div>
    Actually we do a-lot of business with dealerships directly.

5. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i have issues with the sound level with my ipod..... you have to turn the volume of both the ipod and the prius stereo to max or almost to max to get decent volume (and i'm not a really loud music listener!)

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think it sounds about as good as the CD player does, a few tips.

If you use the Volume Limit in the iPod Settings turn it all the way up, and turn the Sound Check off on the iPod as well. Like others stated before me you have to turn the iPod up to maximum or pretty close to it, but it doesn't get muddied by static when doing this. Another thing is to remember that the Toyota radio has seperate EQ settings for each source, so you will have to readjust on the Aux mode.

7. finally_hybrid

finally_hybrid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mousecat @ Jul 11 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]477314[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Mousecat,

I'm pretty new myself.....I must say, the PriusChat community goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful. I've gained so much useful info in just the month I've been glued to the forum. :D

Welcome!

8. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The iPod sounds fine, and in fact you may find that because you can adjust the EQ settings in it, that you can get a slightly better sound balance from it than you can from a CD!

I use a Belkin adaptor to both charge the iPod and take the audio out of the dock port rather than headphone socket, and I find the result is slightly lower noise levels since at higher volumes the iPod's headphone amplifier exhibits a bit of hiss, and can run into clipping, resulting in distortion on signal peaks. The dock port feeds pre-amplied audio which is free from such effects, as the Belkin adaptor has its own amplifier.

I was surprised to find that the electrical noise from the inverters I was expecting to hear was entirely absent, though I was ready with a ground loop isolator just in case!

9. jakebuddy

jakebuddy New Member

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I just found this site yesterday, and am so glad I did.

I have been looking at the Prius for a couple of years now, and I can't wait to finally get one!

I drove a Prius about a year ago for a couple of weeks (while my current car was in the body shop), and loved it more every mile I drove.

Thank you again! I will be asking lots of questions, I'm sure!

mousecat

10. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll second Trevor's post... I run a 1/8" male-male mini stereo cable out of the ipod's headphone jack, and into the female jack of the ground loop filter I got... the other end of the filter is a male end that plugs into the Prius AUX jack.
    If you will be powering the ipod via the cigarette/power adaptor, BE SURE to get a ground loop filter. (Crutchfield, Radio Shack, etc.) It is a simple device, but it will make a world of difference in the sound quality, by eliminating the hum/whine noise, when powering the ipod off the car!

11. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Jul 12 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]477513[/snapback]</div>
    The Radio Shack one has RCA-phono connectors so will also need RCA/mini-jack adapters. Crutchfield sell a mini-jack version that is used on its own. If there is no audible whine without one, a ground loop isolator won't make any difference to the sound, of course.

12. AzDrew

AzDrew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'll add another recommendation for the Belkin adapter. I started with using just the mini-jack connector between my nano's headphone out and the aux in, but I didn't like having to deal with the volume mismatches. The Belkin adpator uses the line-out from nano through the dock connector, so I can leave my nano's volume levels set for earphone listening. And the adapter has a volume adjustment itself so I can match the volume into the aux-in with the rest of the system (radio, CD).

As for controlling it, the cable for the Belkin adapter fits between the joint of the armrest cover and doesn't prevent it from closing, so I just leave the nano on the right front passenger seat or in a cup holder.

You might want to test it for a few days before adding the ground loop filter. I don't notice the hum/whine myself, so you might want to verify you need it first.

13. Skycow

Skycow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Jul 12 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]477481[/snapback]</div>

I have a new Pruis...less than 3 weeks now. I use the Belkin adaptor with my iPod and the sound quality is crap. I've tried using different auxiliary cables and still crap. I've also used just the auxiliary cable without the charger and it is slightly better but again, still crap. Any suggestions??? Do I need to take this back to service??

Thanks! :(

14. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just to be clear, since Belkin makes a lot of iPod stuff, you're talking about this adapter, right? What kind of cable are you using from the adapter to the AUX jack?
    [​IMG]
    Can you describe what crap sounds like? Flat, tinny, clipped, low-volume, too bright? How is the volume set on the Belkin adapter and on the head end? Does the radio and CD audio sound good?

Welcome to PriusChat, Skycow. Help us understand your problem.

15. Skycow

Skycow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skycow @ Jul 20 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]482365[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Bill!!

Yes, That is the Belkin adapter I am using. I have a standard double male cable I got from Radio Shack. I used the same set up in my Honda Element with no problems what so ever. When I run everything through the adapter it sounds like there is a bad connection...scratching and static. When I run just through the the auxiliary jack it sounds kinda muffled and if the volume is up it gets scratchy.

Since this set up works in the Element (I've tried it again as we still have that car) I'm thinking there is some wiring problems??

I've tried adjusting the volume on both the ipod and adapter. The radio and cd player sound fine.

Sandy