1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio Screen: What's DSP & ASL?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Whiteyprius, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand that ASL is supposed to "adjust volumn & tone quality according to the noise level as you drive," according to the owners manual. But it doesn't say why you might want to choose " Mid, Low." I think I can figure out "Off." Could someone please shed some light? Thanks!:confused:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    high, middle & low would determine how much the sound leveling would affect..IOW, with off there would be no adjustment, with low there would be some change in sound level with change in speed/ambient noise, with high the changes would be more dramatic.

3. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ASL stands for Auto Sound Levelling and essentially it adjusts the volume up/down in an attempt to counteract ambient noise going on in the car.
    The faster you go, for example, the louder the road noise, so the radio volume gets louder to compensate. Low/medium/high are just the degrees to which it imposes this effect. If you have any audio upgrades (like aftermarket amplifiers, speakers, etc.) you'll definately want to keep this turned off.

DSP stands for digital signal processing. It is a way to variably manipulate the timing and equalization applied to the signal (at the pre-amp level)being fed into the various speakers in the car. This is usually done in an attempt to compensate for imperfect accoustics and speaker positioning (relative to the listener) present in the car; the goal is to balance the sound and, in some cases, recreate a certain accoustic environment (like the concert hall, etc.)
    In my Prius (which is a non-JBL), the only choices under DSP are the ASL settings. I'm not sure if you get more choices under DSP in the JBL version.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DSP has me baffled but ASL is Age Sex Location but why does your car ask these things?

catteridge and chelsbugg like this.
  5. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sex: yes, please

6. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My base model could certainly use some DSL... the sound is muddy as all hell.

7. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i just have asl on/off i dont see dsl

i cant establish a dsl connection to the at&t switch from the road, kind of sucks, have to rely on 3g sigh

8. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Damnit... can anyone tell I've been working computers for too long? [​IMG]

I meant DSP... [​IMG]