1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio system kaput?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aldenderfer, Aug 19, 2013.

1. aldenderfer

aldenderfer New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all! I think my audio unit (CD player / radio / whatever you want to call it) is busted. I drive a Gen II base Prius (meaning no JBL, so the audio unit is model #86120-47090).

Things that DON'T work:
    - no radio audio, no CD audio
    - seek function doesn't find any stations
    - scan function does nothing
    - backlight turns off when unit is powered on (this is not normal behavior, right?)
    - when the volume is cranked, a hiss can be heard, as well as a low-frequency pulse repeating at about 0.5Hz to 1Hz intervals

Things that DO work:
    - beeps from MFD
    - audio unit functions displayed on MFD (including volume, current station, "NO CD", etc)
    - all fuses labelled "audio system" in the manual have been checked and are working.
    - looking at the PCB, it does not seem that any components are fried

(Side note: am I correct in understanding that in the base unit, the amp is built directly in? Meaning, is there a direct shot from the wiring harness to the speakers? Try as I might, I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram. I may just be bad at searching. [And apologies if I've missed some crucial post on this site and have reposted - but I've been scrounging for the better part of 2 weeks and haven't been able to find a similar case.])

Thoughts? I'm just looking for confirmation of busted-ness so I can replace it.