1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio system upgrade (installer proposal)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LazyBear, Oct 18, 2004.

1. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Installer (Magnolia HiFi) which services I used in all my car audio upgrades proposes avoid messing with factory unit and factory XM option and instead install Alpine CD receiver that plays MP3 and WMA disks, has its own XM tuner option as well as Alpine iPod interface which even displays tracks on the unit display.

The unit may be installed in the opening under the factory stereo instead of CD changer. Pluses: better sound, cheaper XM tuner ($100), ability to have iPod and XM seamlessly, easier controls (I don't like that touch screen clicking when I need to adjust tone or fade), ability to take unit with me if I decide to sell the car.

Alpine CDA-9833 CD/MP3/WMA player ($400)

Alpine iPod control interface

XM Radio tuner

MB Quart Reference front door speakers and tweeters ($500)

Diamond Audio D3 amplifier (high quality and yet small, fits under passenger seat) $450

8" subwoofer in custom enclosure in one of the trunk niches (left or right), $300.

Total with labor $2800.

2. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Sounds like a nice head unit but personally I couldn't lose the steering wheel controls. If it is installed below the existing unit it seems weird to me to have two receivers. Plus I don't know how integrated the stock unit is. That is why I am planning on either going with the PriusXm or Coastaletech kit for xm as for ipod I believe there are some posts describing a custom Y adapter to get both.

just my opinion

Justin

3. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

Sounds expensive. First... It appears, I could be wrong.. but that the D3 is a 4 channel amp. :eek: Where are you going to put the amp for the Sub?

Second, MB Quart Reference front door speakers and tweeters... Are these really needed? I know the installer will do everything they can to tell you that the factory speakers suck... But from listening to my JBL system, I don't think they are all that bad. Not bad enough to fork out 500$ for new speakers.

I'm guessing you don't have Nav or Blue Tooth... Being that both those features utilize the stock amp to work.

As for the 8†sub.. Good choice. I’m having one of those installed Friday. In the same location you’re talking about. I went with the Alpine F450 5 Channel Amp. 250$ online. 20$ shipping. The audio install has told me they can keep the stock amp and go around it and still add this new amp. I don’t know.. From what I’ve read here it doesn’t sound like they can… But… We’ll see. They keep telling me they just did a 04 Prius with Nav and the guy got a 5 Channel amp installed. They are however charging me 150$ to do what they call Integrating the Features of the Car, Nav, Blue tooth, so they still work with my new amp. My total will be 600$ out the door. I’m only adding an Amp and Sub + Install. But I feel it’s a good price and I think it should sound pretty good.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So they are charging you 150 to bypass your current speakers and amp so the sub will be "independent". It really sounds like they are just trying to charge you an extra 150. I dought they are integrating anything. All they are doing is tapping into a low pass or high pass feed. Ask them which channel your sub will run off of. Most likely, it will be the rear right or left channel since your current system works those speakers. I think it may power the center two. I could be wrong through.

5. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

Well the sub will not be independent from the other speakers. I'm made it clear to them I want all of the speakers running off the new amp. And basically the Nav and phone will be left running off the old amp is how I under stood them. Then they are going to rewire the center speaker to run the nav and phone voice, rather than the front left.

I still don't understand how the system will mute the radio when I get a call. And volume control is done in the stock amp. I've told them this... and they say it’s not easy... But can be done.

I’m paying
    80$ for the 8†sub
    150$ for the box. They said this will be the most it will be.
    150$ for the integration of Nav and Phone.
    + plus the extras they need… Wire, Line level convert… ext…
    est. 80$

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh... as for mute.. amps have a mute line.. designed for car phones. stereos have them too. I'm sure the prius stereo has a mute like out which will run to your amp. I wonder how things will sound out of your center speaker. Not easy is just a lot of rewiring and patience. As long as they know what's goes where on your prius currently, they can do anything they want. As long as they get the lines right.

7. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't have JBL system or Nav. I haven't decided yet, the quote seems to be too expensive, I can get same equipment online for half the price. However, I am still leaning towards Alpine head unit since it seamlessly integrates iPod, XM and Alpine CD changer (that plays MP3 and WMA, btw).

See, I can pay $400 for integrated Prius XM plus $200 for iPod2Car (which may or may not work with XM and changer) or $350 for a new head unit, $100 for XM tuner and $50 for iPod interface and all that *surely* will work together.

I personally don't like this integrated approach when I have to tap several times on the touchscreen to get to tone controls or to FM/XM presets. Reminds me of that dreaded iDrive monstrosity in new BMWs. I prefer normal 6 buttons for radio presets. I never use steering wheel controls since all my life I was driving manual transmission cars so I hold steering wheel with one hand which is typically positioned either above or below steering wheel controls. Sorry, can't make myself hold the wheel with two hands.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    LazyBear, this is America, so if you want to put in an aftermarket system, feel free. Keep us posted if are indeed happy with the result. FYI, I have been eying the possibility (not that I would do it) of removing the stereo head unit and building or modifying a shroud (out of kitty hair) to accomodate a very cool aftermarket head unit.

Kitty hair is a material used by aftermarket integrators to build shrouds. It is fiberglass with resin and fibers mixed in for strength. Works well, but requires painting and a lot of work.

Nate

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I put a Roady2 XM reciever ($129) in myself in about an hour. I used it's built in FM transmitter until I could get an input. Then when I got the Neo-box aux-in, it gave me the XM through the car's system. Then, I got a Rio Karma MP3 player, and 'y-ed' it in with the xm. Couldn't be happier! Pic coming soon. Jon

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Man, I LOVE cats! They are DEEEELICIOUS! And, their pelts can be used to make custom shrouds for stereos!

Like the Indian*, nothing goes to waste.

Nate

* For those of you who read the word Indian and scoffed at my lack of political correctness, I must educate you as follows: Columbus never thought he was in India. He called the peoples he encountered "Indios" meaning "Indigenous". Most tribes in North America now agree that "Indian" is indeed politically correct since it is a tribute to the fact that they are both native (born here) AND indigenous (are one with the land, habitat, and environment since before recorded history) and had dibs on the word "Indian" before persons from India ever did. Indians are indigenous to North America. Cats are not.

12. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Steady on - I don't see where LazyBear says in which country he/she lives.

This is the Interwebifination thing, and it's everywhere.

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not so fast Danny. I'm sure a lot of us would be willing to ship LOADS of kitty hair in the spring, if the recipient will pay postage. It is a seasonal product. :)

14. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, I am in WA. I am lazy so I apparently never updated my profile. Now I did.

15. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

Take a look in the forum for the post I did on the system they installed in my car. I Got the 5 Channel Alpine amp and 8" sub... My sub is basically the same as what you talked about. They charged me 200 for the box and 65$ for the sub.

Everything works perfectly. As for steering wheel controls. They make a device that will allow you to still use most of the controls. I was considering changing the head unit and my audio installer told me about it. It works off IR and Alpine happens to make the one they showed me.

And please, don't buy anything at that place... MB Quart for 500? common. You can get them for 230 online. And I still think those are over priced.

16. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

17. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    5.25" is completely different model and it won't fit in Prius. Prius has 6.5" speakers.

18. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

??? I just posted some link I found to show you what they are going for. Search ebay for then 6.5 then.. I wasn't really looking for the right sizes but I bet you they have the 6.5 sets for the same price if not a few bucks more.

19. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    TimeFor, I hate being rude, but on another thread you said you didn't understand audio techical stuff. Well, I do understand it well. One inch difference as well as model series change may cost you a few hundred bucks.

6.5" equivalent of the 5.25" model you have mentioned (RSD 213) is RSD-216. It is indeed available on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5729084341&rd=1

for $159 + $22 shipping + $3 insurance. However, it is also available at a $180 - $190 from various sources such as www.onlinecarstereo.com where shipping is free.

It is a moot point though since first, I am talking about PCE-216 model which is $248 + shipping at eBaywhile it is $279 at onlinecarstereo. Second, so far I am not inclined to install speakers myself. You did pay for the installation, did you?

20. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Besides, Alpine F450 is available at eBay for $268. Why did you pay $499 + tax? Did you ever try to buy car audio stuff online and then bring it to a respectable installer and ask them to install it for you?