1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio track artwork pulling from a source other than within the file

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Jay Doran, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Jay Doran

Jay Doran New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    2015 Prius v with tech package

I've got "Cover art" enabled in the audio system, but the artwork being displayed is not what is embedded in the audio file. Instead, it appears to be pulling artwork from somewhere else.

For example, on one album instead of the album artwork, I was getting what looked like a photo of artist for that individual track.

Turning the "Cover art" option off completely disables the display of artwork - not whatever lookup is being made to get this other artwork.

Anyone else running into this issue, and has anyone else got a solution for this?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like Gracenote, which is retrieved from the internet. If you have the system linked to your phone for Entune, that's how it happens.

FWIW, the 2015 is apparently the first year to display cover art of any kind. So you're in uncharted territory.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have it on my usb, is that different?

4. Jay Doran

Jay Doran New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a Canadian model, so no enTune app involved at all.

Someone (external to this site) has suggested that there is a Gracenote database built in to the head unit that may be doing this. I'm going to see if there's something about how the ID3 information is on the tracks that might be causing the wrong cover to be displayed.

Or, it could be that - if there is indeed a built in database (and I did see that my head unit does have Gracenote mentioned above the top-left part of the LCD) - it's just pulling 'closest match' if it doesn't have a complete match.

A lot of this is just guesswork and supposition on my part based on rumors/hearsay so far...

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Gracenote artwork always has a little Gracenote logo on, near or under it. Anyhow, mine has never been able to display imbedded artwork from files.

6. btcompute

btcompute Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I don't see artwork for "on air" music sources, but I do for files on the USB drive.

#6 btcompute, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  7. ricomtl

ricomtl Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I have the same car as you. Gracenote is actually part of the overall hard drive of the car and everytime a track is played, it fetches either A) the proper artwork for the album you're playing B) a very ugly outdated portrait of the band/singer C) doesn't display anything as the DB is outdated.

The only time it will fetch your own ipod/mp3 player artwork is when you are using a USB connection. Otherwise, as soon as you're streaming your music through phone (Spotify, mp3 files, or even Sirius XM), the artwork will always come from the Gracenote DB.

It seems like my Granote database in my 2015 prius v is dated from 2013, and the dealer has no clue how to update it and has never heard of it (how surprising!). The official Gracenote website suggests that updates for Toyota are available as part of Entune, but we don't have Entune in Canada.