1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio update

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bluevelvet, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Bluevelvet

Bluevelvet New Member

Does anyone know if a dealership can replace a standard 2005 audio system with a new 2006 MP3 system.

2. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

You can go ask a dealer and see what they say. I'd go talk with a good custom audio installation shop. You will need to provide them with the specs from both years. I believe the physical space is the same but you will need to purchase an '06 center console if you want the AUX input to look factory. Otherwise you can just mount the AUX input anywhere like the glovebox.

To tell you the truth, a less expensive way to go might be mounting an aftermarket CD/MP3 head unit in that flip-down compartment, below the stock stereo. With the door closed you won't even see it.

3. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

I was quoted $1400 for the JBL 6-Disc CD Player with NAV upgrade from '04 to '06 with Mp3 compatiblity and higher end NAV. Labor, timeline nor trade in value were mentioned but "they" said it was 'do-able'.

4. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you are right. I was told by parts dept at a local Toyota dealer that the hardware change for the screen alone was $4000.

5. Bluevelvet

Bluevelvet New Member

Can't they connect the 06 stereo to the 05 screen. I don't have nor do I want the Navigation system, just the Bose stereo with MP3 compatability.

6. westofrome

westofrome New Member

I'm in the same boat - I just want a clean reliable AUX input, no NAV or even the mp3-cd player. From the early pictures, it looks like there is no new physical button on the OSD for AUX. So all I would theoretically need would be :

*New center console, with new wiring for the AUX
    *Software upgrade? Could the software be upgraded to officially read the changer input as AUX?