1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio upgrade questions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ajc, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am thinking of replacing my III JBL audio system. I want to replace the HU, AMP and speakers with an aftermarket HU, AMP, speakers & sub.

- will this void any warranties?
    - will this cause any problems with the 12V battery?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will only void a warranty if they can prove that your modification was at fault for whatever claim you're trying to make. That is the law. :)

No, it will not cause any problems for your 12v battery unless you play the system for extended periods of time with the car off just as in a conventional vehicle.

With a very high wattage system you may continually drain down the small stock 12v battery and it would be advisable to purchase and Optima deep-cycle battery that can better handle being drained regularly.

3. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will be installing a amp (4x125 RMS at 2oms) & a basslink sub (200 watts).
    Would I need to upgrade the battery?

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on the brand and how you wire it up you may not see that much but even if you did I think you are fine. I ran my 1,500 Watt RMS amp for a couple years before I replaced my stock 12v battery.

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Someone else has done something similar (they kept the JBL amp) - I guess there is a wiring harness specific to the JBL system - i'd start with that...

6. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was told that if I keep the factory HU I would have to use a cleansweep because I would not get a clean signal? Instead of spending the money for a cleansweep, replacing the HU is about the same $$ + I will get a direct signal - also the aftermarket HU is much better.

7. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the JBL system.

Does anyone know what wire harness I will need to use for my aftermarket HU so I can retain the hot,ground and ignition?