1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio Upgrade with 4 channel Amp & Mono Amp powering 2 10s Model 3 Tech Package NON-JBL. Update 2/17

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by NguyenCB7, Aug 4, 2016.

1. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, had no answer for my last tread but I'm moving forward with some upgrades see how the Stock Headunit handles it. I am not advertising for anyone, I am simply letting you guys know my setup. I will keep updating as a go and will post pictures of process. It's going to be night pictures becuase that the only time I have time to work on this.

Install completed 8/30/16
    - Install Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Punch Powered Loaded 10-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure.
    - I've found that the easiest way to run the Power cable (Had to buy a kit) to the amp/sub is through an opening on the passenger side. Remove Glovebox to access.
    - Install Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime 6.5-Inch Full-Range 3-Way Powered by Amp.
    -Replace Dash Speakers with 3 1/2 inch 2 way. (Kicker CS354 3.5" 90W 2 Way Car) Powered via HU.
    -Replace Front door speakers with 6 1/2 2 way. (Kicker 41KSC654 6.5 inch Coaxial 2-Way Speakers) Power via Amp
    -Install 4 Channel Amp (Alpine MRV-F300 4-Channel) and that will power the Front and Rear door speaker while leaving the Dash speaker connected to HU.

If anyone has tried any of this please feel free to input or advise. Admin please let me know if what I am posting is in violation of our rules, that is not my intent. I will be doing the install myself. I did this as a hobby back in my RICER days..

If anyone wants me to put how much everything cost as I go along please LMK. I am doing this so that others can have an idea as I had to do a lot of research myself. Hopefully everything comes out good.

FYI.

Running the speaker wire through door is a PAIN.

#1 NguyenCB7, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  2. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Took a few days to get everything and will take a few days for me to put everything in but I will post updates as I go.

image.jpeg image.jpeg 20160807_220118.jpg Update. Got Sub first.

#2 NguyenCB7, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    orangebang and timdafweak like this.
  3. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    20160807_222211.jpg 20160807_222215.jpg 20160807_222226.jpg 20160807_222551.jpg 20160807_225652.jpg 20160807_225655.jpg 20160809_222213.jpg to replaced rear speakers but had to buy bracket but wheres how far I got. Will post pictures when i finish rear this week.

#3 NguyenCB7, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Xterra72, robsnyder20 and timdafweak like this.
  4. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Tonight's work.
    Putting 2 hours of work every few nights to finish upgrades. Had to put my soldering skills to use tonight. Dash speakers are going to stay powered by the headunit so I needed to use the stock harness (they don't have aftermarket ones yet) and bypass the High Fequenecy crosscover for dash speakers because going for a REAL six speakers system not "6" that includes tweeters.

Xterra72, robsnyder20 and timdafweak like this.
  5. timdafweak

timdafweak Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's incredible. Thank you for posting your progress + pix. Even though I don't have this exact upgrade in mind, just yet, I will most likely be coming back to this in the near future. Thanks!

robsnyder20 likes this.
  6. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Night 3. Rear driverside door. Install the Rockford Fosgate 6 1/2 2 way speaker and ran the wiring to under the front passengerside seat, I'm going to but the Amp tjat will power the driverside and passengerside door speakets. Instead of putting the headunit out and running the wires from there I am using the adapters and running the output qure from each door. That way if I dont have to cut any of the factory wires. To run the speaker and output wire I drilled two holes through the factory wire clip at the top and bottom. The clip still holds in place. I'll try to work on the passenger side door tonorrow night. I learned everything from my dad who is a retired professional car audio installer but my work is still amateur. I Also inculde the sub pictures. I will clean up thw wires when im completely done so sorry about the mess.

#6 NguyenCB7, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Xterra72 likes this.
  7. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just letting everyone who is following the process that I taking this week off from working on the Prius cause it my daughter 1st bday. I'll get back on it next week. Running the door speaker wires is time consuming.

8. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok so dash speakers, rear speakers and sub are all in. Was looking at front door speaker and I can not run the speaker wires like I did with the rear. There is simply no space me me to work unless I take the doors and dash off. I do not want to cut into factory Headunit wires. I might have to go against my mantra and run the speaker wires ghetto style against the door jam. Will post pics soon. These compact cars are hard to work on. It may be easier to pay someone to do it but I like doing this as a hobby. It might not be as clean as a pro but I get the satisfaction of diy. So, two more steps to take. Installed front speakers and 4 channel amp.

9. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Someone asked for list of parts and price so here you go!

Speakers:

Dash: 3.5 Kicker 2-way CS354 39.49$
    Front: 6.5 Kicker 2-way CS654 59.00$
    Rear: 6.5 Rockford Fosgate 3-way R165x3 38.74$

Amp:
    Alpine MRV-F300 4 Channel 137.95$

Sub:
    Rockford Fosgate P300 10inch powered sub 177.00$

Extras:
    Mediabridge Speaker wires 100 ft 16AWG 10.99$
    Phoenix GB448 DB link 4 gauge 5.01$
    Kicker 09PK8 Amp Kit
    Metra 82-8148 speaker adapter 2 pairs at 13.77$ each pair
    Metra 72-8104 speaker connector Toyota 2 pairs 4.88$ each pair
    Pyramid RPR425 4 Gauge power cable 17.99$

And blood and sweat.

timdafweak likes this.
  10. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  11. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, got driver side 6.5 Kicker 2 way in last night. Had to do it "Ghetto" style (something I did not want to do, but had to) and ran the speaker wire against the car frame exposed. There no easy way to run the wire like I did in the rear due to space and the amount of work to remove everything to access the panels. Here are pics. Almost done! tonight I might work on the passgenerside then install AMP another day.

Attached Files:

12. orangebang

orangebang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Nice write up so far. When I saw you going through factory molex I said to myself, "that's too much work". Lol. I used to be an installer so I know what that entails. I wouldn't do that for anyone anymore except myself. I definitely need to upgrade my sounds. I just got my car last Thursday and the speakers are terrible when I saw that pic of the magnet on the door speaker I wasn't surprised how small it was. They could've at least out a $10 speaker in there for us, not some $.75 junk. Lol. Looking forward to hear how everything sounds.

NguyenCB7 likes this.
  13. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok. Everything is installed. Last step is to clean up my wiring and adjust amp. Someone esle can do a cleaner job with wiring by removing all seats and panels but I didn't want to spend all that time especiallly because I've been doing this late nights. I hope this helps anyone that was thinking of embarking on this journey. With gains set a min....speakers ALREADY sound much better than when they were powered by factory Headunit. Heres some pics from tonight. ENJOY!

Attached Files:

Envirogator likes this.
  14. orangebang

orangebang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    on a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, and 1 being factory sound, what was the jump from when you were still running the door/dash off the HU?

Not crazy about putting in an amp unless I can help it. I don't want to lose any trunk space for a sub, so I'm gonna try and get by with just running speakers off the HU. Just wondering if that's even worth it. i think it might be, seeing that quarter sized magnet on the door speaker. LOL

15. orangebang

orangebang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    also, I noticed that you "bypassed" the high frequency by cutting off the cap. what size was the cap? I'm thinking it might be better had you left it on because the 3 isn't going very low. That's what the 6 in the door is for.

16. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would put it at an 7 to 8. I almost didn't do the amp because it sounded a lot better. With that being said, the speakers are now the shit with amp power. Clarity is up and bass "without the sub" I'll post video soon. Without amp I've notice the rear speaker aren't as strong.

17. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Here a pic of the cap. I took it off because I wanted all 6 speakers to be full range. The 3s are tiny but the add a little more bass even if it's a little, I'm bought replacement so why not use them to its full potential, you know what I mean? Hahaha... I played with the amp sitting from High bypass to off and I like the fullness of the full range. If you are not going to do sub, I think you would love the Amp and speaker but also it depends on you and your music preference. I'm a bass head and love hip-hop but I also listen to everything.

Attached Files:

18. orangebang

orangebang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

My standards are pretty low nowadays. I've been there done that, so I'm trying to get to a minimum standard that I can live with. because of your thread I ordered some of those RF Prime speakers all around. They were cheaper that the kickers by 30%. I'll post some pics and a vid once I get them next week and throw them in on the weekend.

Like I said, I want to avoid doing anything more complicated than speakers.

Did you just use speaker level inputs on the amp? Or does the factory head have some outputs I don't know about?

19. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I used the high level inputs. Alpine Mrv-300 gives you two options.

I forgot to post the pic of the cap. Just edited up top of you want to see.

20. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Running the speakers wire through door to amp is a BITCH. So what your doing should be good and sound good too. Can't wait to see it!