1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio uppgrade installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LazyBear, Nov 19, 2004.

1. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I got my *standard* audio upgraded.

1. Factory audio completely disconnected.
    2. Toyota external CD changer removed.
    3. Alpine 9831 installed in the opening below the stock radio.
    4. Alpine KCA-420i iPod interface installed and wired to the top glove box.
    5. Diamond Audio D5 300.4 4-channel amplifier installed under passenger seat. 2 channels drive front speakers, 2 channels bridged drive subwoofer.
    6. Rear door speakers are driven from the Alpine unit.
    7. Rockford-Fosgate 8" sub installed in custom enclosure in the driver side niche in the trunk.

I am planning to install a/d/s 346CS front speakers myself.

Overall sound is very good, but CD player in Alpine sounds too bright to my taste. Signal from iPod (same CD, lossless) is better, probably because iPod has certain roll off in high frequencies.

iPod interface has quirks though. It disables iPod controls so you have to use head unit controls. Head unit displays track names and allows you to search by Playlist, Album, Artist or song title. However, user interface is pretty bad. You have to press several buttons to start navigation and scrolling is very slow, around 1 record per second. Limit is 500 titles. So you'd better create some playlists. Alpine says it will be fixed in 2005 year units. Titles can only be in English.

I am still not sure if I want to keep Alpine or switch back to stock unit + IceLink. I already expressed my concerns to the installer and they can take Alpine back. I'll keep it for another week and see if I get used to its quirks. I'll talk to installer if they are willing to upgrade me to one of those new units in 2005 when they become available at a discount price.

Integration with iPod is pretty good though, it is cool to see track names and be able to adjust audio settings without reaching for the touch screen. I personally hate stock unit touch screen controls and that I can't see what is playing since screen always flips back to energy monitor. What I want is faster scroll, no limit on number of titles and less buttons to push. However, I am not sure that reaching out for iPod controls each time I need to find an album is more convenient.

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can disable the return to the energy monitor screen in the stock Prius.

Not in my car at the moment so I can't remember the exact option, but there is a button in one of the menus to set that.