1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aurora

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by fuzzy1, May 11, 2024.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I initially posted this as a continuation of thread drift elsewhere. But it deserves its own thread.

WOW!!!

We drove to a Puget Sound waterfront location for reduced (but still lots of) light pollution and no tree canopy obstruction. The first 45 minutes, it was spread across 2/3rds of the sky, but very very underwhelming. To the unsuspecting eye, it was just like ordinary suburban light pollution, with a few very high thin wispy clouds lit up from city lights below. But a knowing eye could see numerous changing features, and a decent camera revealed all the aurora colors. Not just a white or green or reddish show like I've seen, but all of them, and purple-ish too. No clouds anywhere.

Then it blew up.

My best ever.

Even with substantial light pollution, and streetlights preventing proper dark adaptation, it far far exceeded anything I'd seen in ideal dark-adapted star party conditions way back when. Even back at the house, with more artificial light and substantial tree interference, it was still the best ever, apart from the waterfront view.

I hope plenty of others here saw it, or still get to.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I missed this one. But now I wonder if the Starlink satellite constellation had some lost?

Bob Wilson

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This event was photographed from the Florida Keys, Mazatlan, and southeast coast of Puerto Rico. The last two times auroras were seen from Puerto Rico were 1859 (Carrington event?) and 1921.

Spaceweather.com Time Machine

More than 800 amateur photos from around the globe posted here from a single night, I haven't had time to skim through them:

Spaceweather.com Realtime Image Gallery

More may be coming the next several nights. A big new flare occurred today, possibly adding to the show series.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It was amazing!
    I never saw this, so didn’t know what to expect. We drove about 30 minutes out of the metro area.
    Like Fuzzy1, we saw a faded, muted set of lights. Then I looked through my IPhone, holy cow!

IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg IMG_0097.jpeg IMG_0098.jpeg

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is like what we saw our first 45 minutes. Visually muted, but nice on camera (a cheaper Android for me, plus a decent real camera).

Then at about 10:50 pm local time, it absolutely exploded into a fantastic naked-eye show, even in town.

The NOAA-SPWC website aurora oval is starting much slower today, but is building now. Another major solar storm strike is hoped for on Sunday or Monday.

Zythryn likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Colors/colours:
    Auroras: Why are they different colors?
    The colours of the northern lights | Canadian Space Agency
    Aurora Colors Explained - Southern and Northern Lights
    =
    This is mostly from high solar proton flux. It had some recent burps.
    In atmosphere so (high and) thin, atoms and molecules can re emit colorful photons before they bump into other atoms and molecules, and dump energy otherwise. We should expect that many frisky solar protons get down to lower thicker atmosphere, but why no color show there? My answer is more bumping into. Added energy gets 'thermalized' which is molecular bonds stretching bending and twisting. So that (lower down) energy gets dispersed in to ways our eyes cannot see.
    But few frisky solar protons can run the gauntlet and give you special suntans. With larger solar burps, troposphere N14 gets made into C14 and tree rings store that info for later. Such a treat to see front edge of this.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "On Saturday morning, SpaceX’s Starlink satellite internet service said on its website that service had been degraded and its team was investigating. CEO Elon Musk wrote on the social platform X overnight that its satellites were “under a lot of pressure, but holding up so far.”"
    AP: Solar storm puts on brilliant light show across the globe, but no serious problems reported

Looking at some older news reports, it appears that a previous lesser solar storm de-orbited most of a launch-load worth of Starlink satellites. As described by those reports, those satellites had been launched just before a forecast storm arrival, and were still at their initial 130 miles altitude, not yet having moved up to 340 miles. These types of storms dump a lot of energy into the "thermosphere" layer, puffing it up and adding a lot of drag to low satellites, sucking them down faster. For that still-low batch of Starlinks, it was fatal.

Some other space folks questioned why that batch was launched into an expected storm, instead of waiting until after it settled.

tochatihu likes this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sunspot/flare/CME source region of current interest will rotate away from earth view soon. The sun rotates, but it is a bit gooshy. 35 (earth) days at poles and 25 days at solar equator.
    We don't know if another frisky source region will rotate into view, having not placed a thing like SOHO at Lagrange point 3
    What are Lagrange points? | Space
    That thing would need a signal relay from L4 or L5. Expensive. So we'll wait and watch.

#8 tochatihu, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "other space folks questioned why that batch was launched into an expected storm, instead of waiting ..."
    With ya there, except:
    ? Did SpaceX really have prior knowledge before that launch commit?
    ? Are we sure that SpaceX would not toss some birds simply as a way of learning more about exosphere heating/expansion drags their toys down?
    I ask this, seeing SpaceX as willing to spend hundreds millions USD$ to gain proprietary knowledge. They intend to dominate data linkage from LEO but will face competition later. Exosphere rising tide can sink all ships. But maybe a few can do better ...

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We did have a full view of the far side of the sun for a brief while, from the STEREO pair satellite mission. But these satellites were not permanently stationed over there, instead drifting around with orbits slightly faster (STEREO A) or slower (STEREO B) than Earth, with an ever-changing perspective compared to here. STEREO B died just before its pass across the far side, but provided pictures up until then. STEREO A survived, completing a full circle (relative to Earth) last year. Which means it is currently still too close to have a much different view than we have now.

A small fleet (6 to 8) of similar satellites, each launched a few years apart in just one direction, could keep a full 360 degree view of the sun. The one passing directly on the far side could not have a direct downlink to Earth, but could relay through the others. Or it could be allowed to go temporarily incommunicado, while its closest siblings ahead and behind provide angled coverage of the true far side.

We do have a partial view of the far side via "helioseismic holography". Not nearly equal to good solar cameras, but still not completely blind.

SOHO's SWAN
    instrument also provides some limited information about the far side.

http://jsoc.stanford.edu/data/farside/

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    meh, so far...

Drove out of town last night between astronomical sunset and around 01:00. The Night Sight mode on my phone produced an image or two that look marginally auroralike, but I might have to go back to those places on a non-aurora night just to be sure that isn't how a Night Sight photo there looks.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Still socked in over here. :cry:

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looked out my back door, dark.

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping for a twofer.

The last time I returned to my beloved home state of Indiana I saw a total eclipse but I was clouded over for this 'unusual' event.
    SO....it's still a bit in my bucket for now - although one that will be easier to pluck out, given the fact that we get SOME advance notice.

In.....'known' history.....

#14 ETC(SS), May 15, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024