1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aussie Sports Minister Loses Bet Against UK Counterpart :)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Aug 9, 2012.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Australian sports minister has lost her bet against her UK counterpart over who will win most Golds at the Olympics and as such must now row a length at Eton Dourney whilst wearing a Team GB shirt :)

BBC News - Robertson set to win Olympic medal wager with Australian counterpart

If the bet had gone the other way, the UK sports minister would have had to dribble a hockey ball around central London whilst wearing an Australian hockey shirt :)

Nice to see she's sticking to her word, though I bet the Aussies will not be happy at being beaten this time and I recon they'll be a force to be reconned with at Rio 2016!

hkmb likes this.
  2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a Pom in Sydney, I've found the Olympics hilarious. It was only on Wednesday that Australia managed to finally climb above Yorkshire - yes, Yorkshire - in the medals table.

There's already an official inquiry into why Australia didn't win more medals in the swimming.

And the media hostility against Australian athletes who didn't win has been extraordinary.

If there were a gold medal for graciousness in defeat, the Australian media wouldn't be getting it.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The home-team advantage comes up again...

I think the reason the Aussies haven't scored more trinkets is because there are some fine competitive folks in the games with em... not that the Aussies are any worse, but that there IS some competition... as well as some standouts, that regardless of who you are or where you came from, they got game and brought it to England in front of the world.

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol and being from Yorkshire myself, the fact that if we had been a country instead of a county we would have been 10th in the medal table last week (above Oz) didn't go un-noticed :) Even better considering our population of 4 million over Australia's 30+ million. It's all that frest air and quality tea we have :D. Actually, I think it's just that we've had a significant increase in sports funding lately, mostly from the lottery.

About half my school friends now live in Oz so I've been hearing how badly the medal fiasco is being reported over there. But it does show good diplomacy with the bet between the two sports ministers - I couldn't see the American equivalent doing the same! I bet Australia will be a force to be reconned with next time though.

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might be right there.

I think there's been some cracking sportsmanship at the games with a good rapport between the competitors as well as some fantastic talent out there from all countries. It's actually been great to watch and helped lift spirits over here in what is a bit of a gloomy time with the economy. The weather's not been too bad either.

amm0bob likes this.