1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aussies: Rebate of any kind?

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by Willknott, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Willknott

Willknott New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So i'm a Prius owner! I never ever thought I would say it but I am!

I'm living in Sydney, Australia and have heard on the grape-vine that I might be able to claim a rebate?

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Would like any help if poss!

2. pinzvidz

pinzvidz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I've heard of. The only thing we benefit from in QLD is 2% stamp duty (hybrids only). Everything else is 3% (4cyl non-hybrid) or higher.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't need to quote all of that text, lol.

3. sandsw

sandsw Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Willknot,

The government is currently offering a rebate to businesses of up to 50% on asset purchases. You have probably seen this mentioned in various car advertisements.

The rules are thus:

The total value of the car must be under the luxury car thresh-hold ($57K+) - The i-tech is just under this.

The percentage one can claim is a function of the business usage of the car.

The example I was given is: Assume the car costs $60K and it has a 50% business usage. This means you can claim 50% of $57K or $28,500.

I believe the purpose was to allow the business to depreciate the car faster. How this affects depreciation in subsequent years is somewhat unclear at the moment.

Hope this helps,
    Warwick

PS I pick up my new Prius 9th Nov - can hardly wait.