1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Australia plans electric vehicle network

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wiyosaya, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Full story.

Again, not really hybrid related, but I could see this being used to recharge PHEVs.

2. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Details that I heard on the TV this morning stated that the price for the charge would be about the same as we are paying for gas now, the benefit to the user would be a cheaper car:confused:. If that is the case, I think that they will fail - the only thing that will get people interested is cheaper running costs.

Certainly sounds interesting, but when we see schemes offering fast train systems between our capital cities offered every second month, got to take the idea with a grain of salt.

Given the normal amount of travel that my wife and I do in the Prius, we could certainly look at one of these if they actually get to a point of introducing the system, and then leave the Prius as our long distance vehicle.

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Awesome! I assume that by the time they get this network built, it will be somewhere around 2010 or 2011, and major auto manufacturers will already have their EVs and PHEVs on the dealer lots. The post above me mentions that the electricity might be expensive (I assume people will charge at home when they can). However, this article states "Better Place, which has built plug-in stations for electric vehicles in Israel and Denmark, has joined forces with Australian power company AGL and finance group Macquarie Capital to create an Australian network," so ... one must naturally wonder ... how are the systems doing that have already been built in Israel and Denmark? :)