1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Australia to ban incandescent bulbs

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by chogan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. chogan

chogan New Member

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Feb 20 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]393354[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. They mentioned CA's musing about banning incandescents too. It seems a reasonable way to go. Getting a pretty consistent light quality would be nice. I think that's the only real hang up at this point.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    now here's the issue with that, as we just found out.

we have all CFLs except for the small decorative ones in our table lamps, and the 3-ways in our floor lamps. well, we had to replace the 3-ways before we moved into the new apartment (they don't allow halogens due to fire risk) and first we couldn't even FIND them. found a pair at lowe's that worked, except that one of the lamps won't fit it. it's designed for a bulb that's very narrow at the bottom. obviously, these aren't.

so poor DH, with all the other stuff he's dealing with, has to *modify* our floor lamp. annoying. i hope this isn't a common issue.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 20 2007, 11:11 AM) [snapback]393367[/snapback]</div>
    I would imagine that CFLs will expand into these 'niche' markets to fill the void. There's no reason that they can't. Perhaps LEDs could fill that role before they supplant CFLs.

5. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 20 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]393367[/snapback]</div>
    You might see if a socket extender will do you.

http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/d...Path/25_902_974

If not Leviton's product, then I'm sure there are a half-dozen other manufacturers. There are also adapters to change base sizes in case you have an lamp designed to take mogul-base bulbs (big base) or candelbra-base bulbs. And so on.

What I'm saying is that lots of manufacturers have addressed this issue and would be happy to take your money to solve your problem. It's worth cruising your local hardware store and/or Google to see if you can solve your problem with an off-the-shelf part.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    holy crap, i had no idea those existed! thanks chogan!