1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Autism caused by vaccine" expert researcher is debunked as fraud...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jan 13, 2011.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Vaccine study's author held related patent, medical journal reports - CNN.com

Oooo. The pharma/medical industrial complex vs the litigation machinery. Who do you believe in? and who's gonna win?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nobody!

Because of his original article and all the scaremongering since fewer children were inoculated against measles and/or mumps and there have been more deaths from these diseases.

3. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do realize that the original report involved only like 12 cases right? And it was highly dependent on parental recall/memory? And that it was specific to only the combined MMR vaccine, as opposed to the 3 shots that it used to be?

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It has been known for many years that this guy was a complete fraud and that he faked evidence. The only news here is that it's finally been proven. Vaccines save lives. And today's vaccines are extremely safe. Nothing is 100% safe. Life is 100% fatal, so sooner or later something's gonna getcha. But the anti-vaccine people are either lunatic conspiracy theorists or morons who refused to study math because "I'm never gonna need that stuff" and therefore cannot comprehend that a 1:1,000,000 chance of getting sick from a vaccine is better than a 1:1,000 chance of getting sick from the bug the vaccine would have prevented.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't believe that vaccines cause autism. It's exact cause is yet to be undetermined, but it's likely multifactorial and genetics probably has a large role.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is no dearth of math illiteracy in this country.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    5 out of every 3 people suffer from it.

Tom

3 people like this.
  8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The other 4 enjoy it.

9. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If my memory serves me correctly his original study group consisted of children attending his son's birthday party. Yet because of this nut job there are now a vast number of children unvaccinated. Of course his believers will still take his writtings as gospel and say big pharma is attacking him to protect their $$$.

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is not a matter of belief, the spurious claim was that Mercury used in the preparation was the problem, they have not used mercury since 2001. If the report was true, children under eleven should have a reduced percentage of autism. The actual facts do not support this, there are more cases than ever.

His claims were wrong, and so far as can be determined, were designed to ease litigation. Sadly, the quack doctor is punished, but I hear nothing about the penalties the lawyers who funded him are getting. Inventing bad medicine to sue folks should have penalties. These lawyers killed children by frightening their parents.

The R in MMR caused about 1/3 of the infant deafness, (among other defects) you can track that reduction in the deaf population for the last 40 years, when something works, there are observable results.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_rubella_syndrome[/ame]

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As usual, Penn and Teller say it best (This being Penn and Teller, this is NSFW):

1 person likes this.
  12. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    P & T are great. That vid was linked in Phil Plait's Bad Astronomer's blog (over at Discovery) a couple months ago.

While Autism is a bad thing, refusing to believe doctors and scientists claims that booster shots and vaccinations are still safe is far worse. America is getting dumber as a nation every day. Parents, do everything you can to make sure science and math are part of your kid's education.

13. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had nearly every kind of vaccination you can get...

I know the use and administration of vaccines isn't fool-proof nor 100% safe... but for the overwhelming majority of recipients of the preventative measure there is no problem of additional health risks.

I am glad the fraud is finally made public...

There are others that didn't have their licenses revoked, in more than just the medical profession... that hasn't been addressed, nor do I believe it will be.

14. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Re: I've had nearly every kind of vaccination you can get...

If you are one of the minority with side effects, you may see things differently.
    Take the HPV vaccine for example.
    Small risk of side effects, but the risk of the disease may be nonexistent,if you are not sexually active.
    Yet big pharma is making a bundle ,selling a ton of mandated vaccinations that may be unnecessary and not really effective anyway.
    My girlfriends niece came down with Lupus immediately after receiving the vaccine.Maybe a coincidence.

15. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That scientist could have made a ton more money if he were studying global warming.And not had any fear of getting caught.
    $78 Billion (? figure from memory) spent so far studying global warming.
    Food for thought.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Problem is, the Bible-thumpers have declared war on science. They drill into kids' heads that knowledge is sinful and only faith matters. Whatever kids learn in science class, their preachers tell them is Satan's lies. How can you expect them to take learning seriously?

Democracy cannot function when the public are a bunch of superstitious ignoramuses.

17. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I once met a gentleman who sued GM for his multiple sclerosis. His argument was that he was in a car accident and the airbag didn't deploy. Therefore what must have happened is that the unprotected traumatic injury cause a leakage of cerebrospinal fluid out his protective spinal sac and caused his immune system to react to his own spinal fluid which caused the presumptive autoimmune multiple sclerosis. His argument was that he had an identical twin who did not have MS. His MS symptoms started soon after the car accident. Maybe it was a coincidence. Or maybe he should sue his parents for his screwed up immune system. Jeebus!

18. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What's that, 6 months in Iraq?

19. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Maybe he should avoid car accidents.

Maybe some should avoid (particular) unnecessary vaccines that mainly enrich the drug companies.

20. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

All vaccines are unnecessary if you live in a bubble. Most people don't. So while you might hypothesize that the need for the HPV vaccine may be unnecessary if you're a virgin your entire life, the reality is that is very very unlikely. The prevalence of HPV in females is upward of 27%. That's more than 1/4.
    Prevalence of HPV Infection Among Females in the United States, February 28, 2007, Dunne et al. 297 (8): 813 ? JAMA

Deaths from cervical cancer is more than 4k a year.
    Cervical Cancer Home Page - National Cancer Institute