1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-Dim Mirror: Can we adjust sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jojov, Nov 7, 2005.

1. jojov

jojov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anybody know a way to calibrate the sensitivity of the auto-dimming mirror?

Prius owners like us are likely to go blind. In this world of SUV's, we're all in perfect line-of-site of their headlights. I'd like my mirror to dim when sensing less brightness from headlights. How can I turn up the sensitivity?

Thanks!

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    http://john1701a.com/ has information on that. Basically you put a blue piece of transparent plastic over the sensor in the front of the rear view mirror (makes it think it's darker). Another suggestion is a piece of electricians tape covering about 3/4 of the sensor.

3. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I covered the entire sensor on the windsheild side of the wirror. It does get really dark once you turn the car on, but I simply turn the mirror off so it goes back to normal. At night I turn the mirror back on.

It NEVER gets dim enough in my opinion.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rather than blue tape I suggest getting some scrap window tint material of various darkenesses from a local installer and taping on or more layers of those over the sensor until you find one that gives the degree of dimming you desire.

Alternatively, I have a parking tag that's designed to be hung from the rear-view mirror. A happy side effect of using that hanger is that it blocks a large amount of the light to the sensor causing significantly strong dimming than before.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, the mirror can be adjust up and down so try and move the mirror as far up as possible.