1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

auto-dimming rearview mirror not dim enough

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mistylight, Nov 23, 2008.

1. mistylight

mistylight New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The auto-dimming rearview mirror on my 2007 Prius doesn't get dark enough for me. Eyestrain has become a real problem when I have to drive at night on highways where there's always a car behind me. Toyota says that the mirror cannot be adjusted to dim more. I am therefore investigating other options, such as an anti-reflective film that I could place on the surface of the mirror (typically marketed to help reduce glare on handheld electronic devices). Anyone struggling with the same problem as me? Anyone got any ideas about how to solve it?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There rae two options you can do

1. Put tape on the back side of the mirror over the ambient light sensor

2. Rotate the mirror upside down so that the rear-facing light sensor is actually above the line of sight of the rear spoiler so it catches the headlights. I used this method.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's darkening suggestion (#1 above) with photo available in the User-Guide.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had to use the piece of black electrical tape over the ambient light sensor. That has been dark enough - so far.

I had the dealer put on the optional auto-dim mirror for my FJ. That one appears to work perfectly. Of course, the FJ rear glass is pretty dark, and that giant spare tire hanging there tends to block most headlight glare anyway

5. mistylight

mistylight New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Jayman, thanks so much for making me aware of the User Guide. I'm new to PriusChat and didn't know of its existence. I downloaded it---and now I can't put it down. Not only does it address my issue with the auto-dimming mirror, but I have found great information about other things that I have been pondering since I bought the car.
    Mistylight

6. mistylight

mistylight New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    john1701a, thanks for sharing your solution. My eyes will be thanking you later in the week when I make my 6 hour Thanksgiving drive.
    mistylight