1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-Dimming Side Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by flyingprius, Dec 23, 2004.

1. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I'm back in Santa Fe from Florida, which means I have no Prius here :(
    I've been driving my step-dad's Saab 9-5; there is a feature on it that I absolutely love that the Prius doesn't have. Like some Prii, the 9-5 has an auto-dimming rear-view mirror, but in the Saab the side mirrors outside are also autodimming. I hate it in the Prius when the light from the side mirrors reflects in my eyes! The Saab has confirmed how nice it is not to have any glare from any vehicle behind you.

Of anything I could do with the Prius, I would really like to have auto-dimming side mirrors. Has anyone upgraded to these? Would anyone know how? Is Coastaletech thinking of making one?

Your two cents are grealy appreciated...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well, there are 'anti-glare' mirrors with integrated turn signals available in Japan for the Prius. By anti-glare, I mean those blue tinted mirrors you see on Mercedes and BMWs.

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are your mirrors set properly? The side mirrors should be showing you what's in the lanes to the left/right of you without being able to see any of the side of your car.

The best setup method I've seen is to lean your head against the window on the passenger side, then set the mirror so you can see down the side of your car. When you're back in normal driving position, you should see a car approaching in your side mirror just as it leaves the rear-view mirror.

After setting my mirrors properly this way, I never get cars blinding me from behind.

Dave

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, even so, I do get blinded. It happens when the vehicle behind you is staggered to your left so their left headlight is shining right towards your left mirror

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave: I think you meant to lean your head against the driver side window; I don't know about you, but I don't think I can lean on the passenger side window while still sitting in the driver's seat.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's how i've had my mirrors have been set since i purchased this car. It really is helpful.

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't had the problem as a driver, but my wife does in the shotgun seat. I tip the right side mirror down a fair bit to save her. Most of the roads around here are 2 lane so I don't miss the right side visibility.

I would happily consider adding autodimming side mirrors.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A SAAB that says it all a great innovator. I hope GM does not run them under.

9. chajones

chajones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was looking at my owners' manual and it says that if I have an auto anti-glare inside rear view mirror then my outside ones will also reduce the glare, but they don't! I know this thread is 4 years old, but according to the owners manual this was supposed to have changed for 2008. Are my mirrors (or owners' manual) defective?

10. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have my mirrors set just a little off at night so I have to tilt my head to see. It keeps the light out of my eyes.