1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Door Lock by Coastal Tech

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Noleman, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Noleman

Noleman New Member

I purchased the auto door lock and EV switch from Coastal Tech and hve found that on my 2006 Prius the doors only lock after I have closed all doors and then push the start button. This is OK but just wondering if anyone else has had this same experience. Coastal Tech has offered to send me a new switch, I haven't decided if I want to change.

Live in Tallahassee Florida and love the new Prius. After 2,000 miles in winter with moderate hills and about a 13 mile each way comute I am averaging 48 mpg and happy with the results.

Noleman

2. kis dsky

kis dsky New Member

I have been looking at getting the same two items. My understanding is from reading their web site that the doors would lock at 15 mph. Did you change something in the install to get the feature at start?

My camry works that way and I was worried about the delay between when I move and when I reach 15 mph. I have an active daughter who likes to pull and push on knobs so she has already opened the door at speed. This was solved wth the child lock, but it does make me more aware of the doors not locking at 'start'.

Also how was the install for each item?

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I haven't gotten the EV switch yet, but the Auto-Lock took about 35 minutes. When the Prius reaches 16mph they all lock. Interesting, on Coastal's Order Form, the Auto-Lock isn't mentioned as for the 2006. It's on the 2004-2005 only area (on the Classic Prius, Coastal's Auto-Lock locks when the driver's seat belt is fastened and unlocked when the belt is unfastened). The slight problem (with mine, anyway) is that the rear doors do not unlock by pulling the handle like in the front. Normally that isn't a problem when it's only me or my wife. When my parents come along, I have to remember to push the unlock button.

On my wife's Windstar, they auto lock the instant she shifts into gear, which would be nice.

4. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    First preference for my 2006 Prius would be for an automatic lock that locks the doors when the car is placed into drive or reverse (my 2004 Camry has this feature). The scenario you describe would be my second preference, locking the doors when the Start button is pushed. I certainly prefer your scenario to having waiting untl the car is in motion for the doors to lock.

5. boshman

boshman Master Tech

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased a 2006 prius and noticed that only my driver door unlocks when I pull on the handle. So far I have to press unlock to unlock all doors for the family. I also noticed that if the car is running/on in park that the only way to open my hatch is to press unlock at the drivers door. The lack of a factory auto lock is a most unfortunate. I am also looking into the auto-lock package from costal. Just not ready to splice and dice my '06 yet. Hopefully helpful - Frank

6. Stepclimb

Stepclimb Junior Member

That can be fixed with the key FOB. It is covered in other threads and in the owners manual (I think about page 206). There are 3 door unlock modes. The one I use unlocks all doors when I touch the drivers handle.

Has anyone else put the door lock mode on their '06? I'm curious as to whether the power-button lock is unique to the mod interfacing with the '06 or if its a glitch with that particular unit.

7. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I too, have purchased the Coastal Door lock kit for my 2006 Prius. I installed it today, following the directions word for word. Put everything back together and pressed the power button. Started driving...hit 10mph...hit 15mph...hit 25mph...nothing. It didn't work. I rechecked all the connections, all were fine. I closed all doors, fastened my seatbelt then pressed power and to my amazement, nothing. It seems, from the previous post that the Coastal Door Lock kit does work on the 2006 but, with glitches?? any suggestions fellow Prius owners? I'm going to send Coastal an email but, probably won't get a response until next week.

8. inlights

inlights New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ Mar 25 2006, 02:40 AM) [snapback]229896[/snapback]</div>
    Any word from Coastal about the problem you are having with the door lock kit? I am about to order the kit for our new 06 Prius I think I will wait for more info about Glitches and non working kits.

9. Emma

Emma New Member

Personally, I like that only the door I touch unlocks. I think it's a great safety feature. When I'm getting in my car, I don't have to worry about some nutjob jumping in the backseat or passenger side of my vehicle.

And if I'm with other people, then I just hit the unlock button of my fob twice and all the doors will unlock.

As for adding the auto door lock feature, I don't really see the point. If I want my doors locked, I press the lock button.

10. kevmac

kevmac New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ Mar 25 2006, 01:40 AM) [snapback]229896[/snapback]</div>
    Just a guess, but I think I know what you did wrong. There are two black wires on the blue plug; make sure that you use the correct black wire. I know because I made that mistake. I have a 2006 Prius; 99.9% of the time, the doors lock as soon as I hit the power button; every once in a while, they lock as soon as I put it in gear; I have never had it wait until I hit 15mph. Personally, I love the auto door lock kit; I highly recommend this modification. I prefer that it locks as soon as I hit the power button anyways.

11. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

Installed in my 2006. Works as advertised: all doors lock at 15 mph.

12. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think I have an answer for you guys about the doors locking on power up.

First some background information....

Recently I installed the modification allowing the use of the Navigation and Bluetooth functions while the car is moving. It is merely a switch which breaks two wires which feed the MFD that informs the car is moving.

Prior to that modification I also installed the Coastal Door lock mod. I have a 2006 Prius. It works as advertised. At 16 mph the doors lock.

What I observed was when I have the switch thrown for the Nav/Bluetooth mod and I power up the Prius the doors automatically lock. If I disengage the Nav/bluetooth mod then the doors lock at 16 mph only.

I share this with you because there may be some reason to believe there is a corralation between these two modifications. And I recall reading that one of you had both mods as well.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

13. kevmac

kevmac New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have the Nav/Bluetooth option so I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to make the auto door lock kit work as advertised. I still am happy with the way it works though; I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. My wife is a little flakey at times; she has enough trouble finding her keys let alone remembering to lock the doors; the auto door lock kit was a good investment for us.

14. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ May 27 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]261836[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 2005 and did the BT mod today (didn't do the NAV part as I have Coastal's NAV kit). I too have the Auto-Lock it. It really surpised me that the doors locked at power up. I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

15. grizzly1

grizzly1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 27 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]261851[/snapback]</div>

16. mr.whit

mr.whit Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I agree, I love the car just the way you are.... plus, mud flaps, body side moldings, removed the wheel trim rings & fabric protection on the seats, thats all I need…. And my thermos :D :blink:

17. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ May 27 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]261836[/snapback]</div>
    I have the NAV/BT kit as well as the Auto Door Locks from Coastal as well. As mentioned above, I have experienced the same quirk. I know immediately when the NAV/BT won't work because the door locks lock immediately upon power up. It only happens sporatically, and I haven't been able to figure out why. Even repeated power ups and downs fails to correct the problem.

Another quirk is the mileage bars don't show during the trip.

This only began to happen after I installed the NAV/BT kit. A query to Coastal yielded nothing.

18. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ May 28 2006, 07:29 AM) [snapback]262016[/snapback]</div>
    From this it looks like cutting the wire (and installing a switch) and installing the Coastal kit does the same thing. How do you install the BT part of the Coastal kit?

19. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 29 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]262350[/snapback]</div>
    My version of Coastal's NAV kit has the BT integrated into it (maybe they'll come out with a stand-alone BT version.) Knowing the backdoor screen sequence eliminates the need for the NAV portion of their hardware. But since you can't separate the two, you need to install the kit in order to get the BT functionality (I use the BT part extensively - it's nice for my wife to have access to the entire phone book or dial numbers when I'm driving.)

My version of the NAV/BT kit required dismantling the dash removal of the MFD. Not a big deal.

20. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ May 29 2006, 09:08 AM) [snapback]262358[/snapback]</div>
    I do have a question. When you press the DEST button, is the screen ghosted for a second (and then active), or do you see the backdoor sequence? I have the stand-alone NAV kit and I see the latter.