1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

auto door locks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cybergear, Feb 26, 2008.

1. cybergear

cybergear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    am i the only one who thinks a truly "smartkey" would lock the doors when i exit the car. my friend had an acura with a similar key, anytime he is out of range from the car the doors automatically lock.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think I like that idea. Push one of the black buttons when you want to lock the doors.

Tom

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am pretty sure that Toyota turned that off on purpose (to avoid lawsuit of some sort - we know how conservative Toyota can be - think the NAVI gray-out!)
    The SmartKey on Mazda can do just that, but one needs to ask dealer to turn it on 'cause it is OFF from factory (another way to avoid lawsuit since one has to ASK for it).
    The SmartKey system used by Mazda was made by Denso (yes, our NAVI maker). Denso also made the SmartKey for the new LS460. It is extremely thin and has a footprint like a credit card. You can bet that the SmartKey on the newer LS can also allow AutoLock (as they call it on Mazda manual).
    Our SmartKey was made by ToKai-Rika.co.jp. On their website,
    TOKAI RIKA Products/Vehicle Field/Security Systems
    (see your fob in the picture under SmartKey.)
    "We developed the Smart Entry system, which automatically unlocks the front door as you approach with the Smart key and locks the door after you leave and also the push start system that starts the engine without inserting the key by only pushing the start switch."

4. cybergear

cybergear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    call me stupid but how could locking my door for me when i am away from the car cause a lawsuit? i guess i will get used to the buttons on the handle but its just one of those little things that would have made a good system great.

5. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Personally I don't want a car that locks automatically when I get out of it. The alarm on my old car was set to automatically turn on a certain number of seconds after I got out, and it was a royal pain at times when I had to unload things from the car. It's easy enough to press a button to lock it, especially since I have my hand on the door to close it anyway.