1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto forums in general...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mootsman, Apr 7, 2007.

1. mootsman

mootsman New Member

I've hung out at a lot of forums over the years but they've mostly related to my interests in music, history and cycling. This is the first auto specfic forum that I've lurked and posted at. It's always appeared to me that forums inherently tend to ignore the middle ground, i.e., many folks posting are either "blinded by the light" or have a beef....and this forum has it in spades. A newbie here might quickly get two interesting impressions.

1. The Prius will save the planet, last til the next millenium and readily get 60 miles to the gallon in the process.
    OR
    2. The Prius has more systemic problems than any new vehicle on the road, e.g., handling in gravel, handling in snow, handling in rain, handling in wind, rear window visibility, lousy OEM tires, "incorrect" manufacturer information on tire pressures, gas fill-up issues ad nauseum, steering feel, VSC issues, the steering wheel itself, seat comfort or lack thereof, paint chip issues, less mpg than expected, and on and on.

So I went and lurked around a Honda Element forum (our other vehicle) and lo and behold -- the same thing. It's either the best thing since sliced bread or a POS. It appears that my initial assumption is correct that forum topics will tend toward polar opposites -- and that's OK now that I more understand the nature of it all. And, maybe I'm lucky, 'cause other than the very low ground clearance (read curb clearance) I'm completely happy with "Greenie" (as we call it).

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You've hit the nail on the head, as it were. I'd extend your observation to the entire internet though.

With maybe the exception of some very boring blogs, people don't tend to post stuff online that like "today, nothing interesting happened. Would you like to hear about it?" It's usually either the best of the best or the worst of the worst. Take anything on the internet with a grain of salt.

I loves my Prius though... loves my Prius. More than I loves my gun. I have only minor complaints, but for me, it's a car that happens to have some features that put it ahead of any other car I've driven.

3. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to see MUCH more of the same, visit VW Vortex. VW is either the be-all-end-all of human civilization, or a heap of dung.

The difference is that they have over 200,000 members.

All auto forums are the same .... you need to take things with a grain of salt.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You guys hit "the nail on the head". I usually just ignore the extreme posts and pay attention to the "good information" and the things that interest me.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    People love to dwell in extremes, especially from their armchairs.
    Look at the popularity of Faux News and other "hyper-reality" TV
    shows. If the press reported "a bunch of people went to work today
    as they always do, and went to the grocery store on the way home",
    wouldn't that just glue you to the glass tit all evening salivating
    to hear more about it?
    _H*

6. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heard of the 80/20% rule? This applies in general to forum participation (except it is closer to 98/2%) - many join, few are active. Of the ones that do, the firebrands often stick out.

I have personally recommend forums in person, but seldom do they come.

By the time someone joins PC, you have a fairly select group of enthusaists.

7. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

A forum like this does make it tough for someone to come in and just get some information in general. This forum and its members overall seem to be all about "get all the mileage you can get through any abnormal means you can," and is not set up well to be useful to people who just want to drive the thing and let the car be the car.

Odyclub, the Honda Odyssey forum, is much less snooty about the car itself, and is just an outlet for information.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Can't we all just agree that the Prius is the end-all-be-all 60+MPG POS that's going to save the planet lasting til the end of the millennium regardless of the poor handling and manufacturer misinformation?

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i disagree with the "grain of salt" comments.

...i'm thinking of something more like a bucket. and extending that to all of existence. :p

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What else would you expect? No one wants to spend the time and effort posting unless they feel strongly about a subject. It's the same reason politicians never get elected running on the apathy ticket; you just can't get that base out to vote. ;)

Tom

11. mootsman

mootsman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 7 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]419433[/snapback]</div>

:D Case closed!

12. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't see it that way. I've been an owner for 3 months and frequent these forums daily. While I've seen some of what you claim, I also find valuable info for all owners of varying degrees of sophistication.

13. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ Apr 7 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]419368[/snapback]</div>
    My first experience with auto forums was when I got my 04 Mini Cooper S. some of those people are fanatical so much so that they would make even the most dedicated PriusChat poster look like a disinterested party.

We had people talking about how the Mini was better than Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche. Common how do you compare a 21k (tops 30k) sports car to 200k plus cars with 5 times the hp and torque) they went as far as to talk about how to get a v6 in the car or were they could get a Porsche engine and trani to put in the car and how would they make it fit. Some people took out airbags, seats and anything they could to lighten the car. Crazy I know but hey.

I find this place to informative and helpful more than anything. Yes it does have its share of trolls and fanatics who think the prius should be the only production car on the market period. But that is with anything on the net.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True but the point of a forum is to ask questions be it finding information for a newcomer or just relating a bad experience and hope that someone here has a solution for it.

Most here are fairly objective but again as this forum grows, we're gonna start seeing the gap widen as the poles strengthen.

I've gained a lot of knowledge from this forum which includes, but is not limited to:

- turning off the reverse beep
    - how to P&G
    - blocking the grille
    - tyre replacement
    - EV mod installation
    - How the BT plate affects stability
    - where the battery cooling vent is
    - how to accelerate efficiently
    - how "B" maxes regen <20mph but engine brakes >20mph

and so forth.

I would've have gotten the mileage I was getting if I hadn't found this forum. I feel proud to have tons of knowledge from these folks here about a vehicle that not a lot of people know about.

You have no idea how times I got shunned because people think they know how the Prius (or Toyota hybrids) work and I'm probably half their age. Then I start spewing out information and they start to realise that I know more about them and I feel confident that the information is fairly accurate.

Anyway, I might as well take the time to thank everyone here for their contribution! Thanks!

15. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I learned how to get better mpg. I would have never known about P&G without this forum. Also how running your battery down to red is counter intuitive for optimal mpg etc etc.

I like this place anyone can come and learn about their car more than they will get from reading the owners manual.

16. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 7 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]419429[/snapback]</div>
    With all respect, that's an unfair generalization. Members run the gamut in their goals, practices, and advice. I freely acknowledge that I am one who emphasizes mileage, but not through "any abnormal means." I offer guidance on reasonable steps to take full advantage of the car's ability to maximize mileage to those who want it, or whose goal at least appears to be similar. And I try not to meddle in others' dialog where the interest obviously is elsewhere.

17. gamiller

gamiller New Member

I would also agree with Tidelandprius and IAO
    Forums are great place to increase your knowledge and I am very grateful to those who participate

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 7 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]419371[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, he has. I used to frequent maxima.org (had an 02 Maxima), have popped into vwvortex.com on occassion, used to pop into rx8club.com, and still do frequent my350z.com.

There are definitely the set that will defend their car, say it's the best value, better than _____, mock other competing cars, etc. Then there's the set that will say that their car is crap, they'll never buy one from that manufacturer again, etc.

That said, some of the probs on my350z.com were very valid and the Consumer Reports reliability ratings pretty much supported it). Examples are: infamous front tire feathering/cupping (I experienced it), failing power window motors and regulators (both of mine failed under warranty), manual transmission probs (many have gone thru several), window grease streak (TSB on it), rear axle click (TSB on it too, mine had it as well), and most recently, high oil consumption on some.

19. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Back again.., see some familiar people, got about 12,000 on the 2005.. never disappointed, not getting the better mileage, but still substantially better then before. The board here is good, as others the more dedicated ones do the most and know the most, but all in all I've learned alot about my car. Just got to sort it out, and keep the perspective on why you come to the chatroom to begin with. Now... how about someone talking about converting the HEV prius to a PHEV., like in the "Calcomp" design, but a lot cheaper..??

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 7 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]419429[/snapback]</div>
    People who just want to drive the thing and let the car be the car don't need a forum. They have the owners manual and a road.

The outlets of information here are easy enough to find and I don't recall seeing any really bad advice posted. The other stuff makes it fun to visit.