1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

auto headlights and daytime running lights snafu

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by squall, Sep 11, 2007.

1. squall

squall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How many of us have a Prius that shows an auto setting on the headlight switch?
    How many of us have a Prius manual that shows an auto setting on the headlight switch?
    How many of us have a Prius with Daytime Running Lights?
    How many of us have a Prius manual that describes daytime running lights?

Both Auto Headlights and Daytime Running Lights are positive safety features. But from what I am gathering they only exist in this Hemisphere on Canadian model Prius's. Yet all manuals for the Toyota Prius show them as standard, and do not say anything about them being an "option" on the car.

My 2007 Prius touring model actually has a space in the dashboard for a sensor for Auto lights and Daytime running lights as well as a slot in the fuse panel for the fuse to operate them.

But my dealer says that they cannot install it because the wiring was not installed when the wiring package was laid in the car.

Does the fact that the manual describes these features and makes no distinction about "only available in Canada" not seem a bit misleading to you? I think Toyota may be liable to install these features in cars it has sold here in the US.

I would ask those of you that have some interest in these safety features to respond to this post. If you have never had Automatic Headlights that come on when it gets dark, you may not have a feel for how wonderful this feature is, and given the amount of highways now in the US that require headlights on during daytime hours, Daytime Running lights are also a very advantageous feature.

If I missed the place in the manual that makes a clear disclaimer about these features being available only I certain geographic locations I certainly can be corrected, but if not, I am interested in pursuing this issue further with Toyota and there is strength in numbers

2. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've only had my prius for a week and a half, so haven't finished reading the manual yet, but just coincidentally I read the headlight portion last night and was quite pissed to see the section described auto on headlights and DRL's when it isn't an option for us. it definitely should be. So put me on your team.
    Fernsmom

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    DRLs may not satisfy you completely however. The tail lamps are not on. There are some minor "difficulties" with auto headlamps. For one, when you enter a tunnel there is a delay before the headlamps turn on. You really want them on when you enter a tunnel, as you eyes have not yet adjusted to the dark. So you have to remember where the switch is (that you may otherwise never use) and to use it (switch to manual on).

The Canadian cars have these functions, but don't have the maintenance reminder which is also described in the owners manual. It does state in the front of the manual that not all cars will have all described equipment, so I think Toyota is covered, if you were thinking of some sort of complaint.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your version of the Prius has HID headlamps, which do not work with the daytime running lights or auto features. Some people leave their headlights on at all times, which works as a daytime running light and precludes the need for auto-on lights (they are already auto-off, with some limitations). However, using HID headlamps as daytime running lights will shorten the lives of the expensive lamps.

Tom

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Both Tom and David are correct. Think about that before you act on your feelings of dismay.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squall @ Sep 11 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]510748[/snapback]</div>
    Simple. You're not the only country using that damn manual. We exist too :p

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squall @ Sep 11 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]510748[/snapback]</div>
    Simple. You're not the only country using that damn manual. We exist too :p

8. squall

squall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 11 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]510997[/snapback]</div>
    i beg your pardon. are you in another country or from another planet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squall @ Sep 11 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]511034[/snapback]</div>

9. squall

squall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 11 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]510997[/snapback]</div>
    i beg your pardon. are you in another country or from another planet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squall @ Sep 11 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]511034[/snapback]</div>

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 11 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]510796[/snapback]</div>
    This is not completely true. It is true that since the Prius has bi-xenon HIDs (which means the highs are HIDs also and are controlled by deflecting the same bulb's beam, most HIDs are just depowered high beams) the headlights cannot be DRLs. They could however rig the foglights to operate as DRLs, although that would be problematic since not all Priuses have foglights.

And who told you that auto headlamps couldn't be done wih HID lamps? MANY MANY MANY cars have auto HID headlamps, including my Lexus. Its a cost saving feature.

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 11 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]510796[/snapback]</div>
    This is not completely true. It is true that since the Prius has bi-xenon HIDs (which means the highs are HIDs also and are controlled by deflecting the same bulb's beam, most HIDs are just depowered high beams) the headlights cannot be DRLs. They could however rig the foglights to operate as DRLs, although that would be problematic since not all Priuses have foglights.

And who told you that auto headlamps couldn't be done wih HID lamps? MANY MANY MANY cars have auto HID headlamps, including my Lexus. Its a cost saving feature.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squall @ Sep 11 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]511034[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I'm a couple hundred kms north of you lol.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squall @ Sep 11 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]511034[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I'm a couple hundred kms north of you lol.

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Sep 11 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]511042[/snapback]</div>
    I believe we are discussing the Prius, in which case the statement about daytime running lights is correct. I didn't intend to imply that HIDs won't work with auto headlights, but only that Toyota chose to not offer them as auto.

How do you figure that auto headlamps are a cost saving feature? As an electrical engineer, I know that they are still equipped with a manual switch, so you combine the cost of the manual switch with the sensor and electronics for the auto feature. There is no way for this to have a lower cost.

Tom

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Sep 11 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]511042[/snapback]</div>
    I believe we are discussing the Prius, in which case the statement about daytime running lights is correct. I didn't intend to imply that HIDs won't work with auto headlights, but only that Toyota chose to not offer them as auto.

How do you figure that auto headlamps are a cost saving feature? As an electrical engineer, I know that they are still equipped with a manual switch, so you combine the cost of the manual switch with the sensor and electronics for the auto feature. There is no way for this to have a lower cost.

Tom

16. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Sep 11 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]510787[/snapback]</div>
    There are now printers in the market that are able to do JIT on demand printing. It is economical to have as short of a print run as you want. Furthermore it is very easy to change and customize text from one run to next. One targeted application that is identified for this printer is car manuals.

17. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Sep 11 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]510787[/snapback]</div>
    There are now printers in the market that are able to do JIT on demand printing. It is economical to have as short of a print run as you want. Furthermore it is very easy to change and customize text from one run to next. One targeted application that is identified for this printer is car manuals.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 12 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]511184[/snapback]</div>
    What I was saying was auto headlamps were not offered on the Prius to save cost, theres no other reason.

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 12 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]511184[/snapback]</div>
    What I was saying was auto headlamps were not offered on the Prius to save cost, theres no other reason.

20. prius2go

prius2go Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squall @ Sep 11 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]510748[/snapback]</div>
    It's been disproven :rolleyes:
    Ok more people see the DRLs but accidents with relatively invisible pedestrians and cyclists go up.
    Which is preferable? :)
    but which is preferable overall? :unsure: