1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Alnilam, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While looking through my Handbook today I noticed that there are two versions of headlight stalks. One has a "dot" and a headlight icon, the other has these, plus the word "Auto" on the stalk that lets the headlights come on by themselves when it gets dark. My Prius, Package 8 with about everything available, doesn't have this "Auto" feature and I was wondering why. I have this on another car and it is a nice feature.

Bob

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jun 8 2006, 11:02 PM) [snapback]268466[/snapback]</div>

For some reason that feature was only included on the models in Canada. In the US we only have the auto shut-off.

It sucks!

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 9 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]268476[/snapback]</div>
    IMHO, we're not missing much. My 02 Maxima had HIDs and auto on/off. I almost never used auto because I was worried about excessive cycling of the HIDs (esp. since I used to live in WA state where it's cloudy and rainy all the time).

See http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...55&#entry233355 if you read more about it including the clauses in the manual about cycling HIDs.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 9 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]268476[/snapback]</div>
    Me personally, I love it! :D
    I have HIDs.
    For safety, I keep them blazing all the time. :blink: :unsure:
    I'm glad they don't cycle on and off while I am driving.
    I am also glad I don't accidentially leave them on when I leave the car.
    I rarely ever touch the headlight controls.
    I never have to worry if they are on or off when it starts to get dark.

5. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 9 2006, 01:50 AM) [snapback]268499[/snapback]</div>
    The problem I see with having them on in the daytime is that the Nav screen is then set for nighttime mode, which is difficult to see in daylight.

I had the auto headlght feature on my Jeep, and basically left the headlights in Auto mode all the time. So yes, I miss it on the Prius. That's the breaks, I guess...

6. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Jun 9 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]268625[/snapback]</div>
    If you scroll the thumbwheel dash brightness control (to the left of the steering column) up it will latch into a position that forces daytime brightness even if the lights are on.

I really wish it had true auto mode, i.e. especially in that a sensor on the dash could be used to determine day/night MFD mode, as well as manipulating the headlights. My friend's low-end Corolla CE even has this... :-/

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Jun 9 2006, 09:07 AM) [snapback]268625[/snapback]</div>
    Assuming it's the same for the 2006 as the 2005, turn the dimmer wheel to less than full. Then press the DISPLAY button. You should see a button called "Day Mode." Pressing that will keep the Nav screen from changing when the lights are turned on and off (it'll get just a bit dimmer, but that's all).

8. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik Tkal @ Jun 9 2006, 09:52 AM) [snapback]268650[/snapback]</div>
    That fixes the MFD problem, but the dashboard clock is still dim. So when I'm running with my headlights on in full sunlight, I can't read the clock easily, and when I also have my sunglasses on I can't read it at all.

9. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why is everyone so upset about having to turn their lights on? Is it so hard to do?

I've never had a car with auto headlights. When twilight hits, I turn the lights on. When the sun has risen enough in the morning, I turn them off.

I don't even take advantage of the auto-off for the lights on my Prius. I always turn them off manually.

10. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jun 9 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]268466[/snapback]</div>
    I'm in Canada and although I had studied the Prius inside out months before getting one (mostly thanks to PC!), I was surprised to see that it came equipped with Auto headlights. :)

It's actually quite nice - I just leave it in Auto all the time, and they come on and off when necessary. It has a pretty smart threshold, so very seldom does it cycle on/off/on/off at dusk or going through tunnels, etc... The only time I really need to turn the lights on manually is during inclement weather. :eek:

As for light sensors, it is actually interesting that the car has two distinct sensors set at different thresholds - one for the headlights and another for the MFD for night mode. Typically, if I am driving during dusk, at a certain point the headlights will come on, then about 45 minutes to an hour later when it is significantly darker the cluster, MFD & Nav switch to night mode. Cool! B)

My only pet peeve when it comes to lighting is why there is no dash light to indicate when the OEM fog lights are on? :huh: Of course, the fogs are tied to the regular headlights and only illuminate when the full lights are on, without high beams.

- Kevin