1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Hedlight leveling, how does it work ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hsnmz, Feb 4, 2013.

1. hsnmz

hsnmz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi guys,

I am new to the forum and to a Prius. Just bought a 2008 (imported it from japan) 10 days ago. It's a S10th anniversary edition. I was curious how does the auto headlight leveling work and what's it good for ? My car has HID so are there separate tubes for high and low beam ?

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to the forum & Congrats on ur new to u Prius.

The HID headlight in the 08 gen2 Prii uses a D4R bulb for both the low & high beams. When u activate the high beam the reflector shield right in front of the bulb moves allowing more light to be released.

The auto leveling has a sensor on The rear axle beam that detects the load in the rear. This signal is then sent to the headlight leveling module with in turn sends a signal to the headlight leveling motors on the back of the headlight.

The purpose is to keep the beam from the light on the road & out of the eyes of the surrounding drivers when u have passengers or cargo in the rear causing the rear of the car to sit lower than the front.

3. hsnmz

hsnmz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thnks for the info. can the level be manually adjusted just like in conventional headlights

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. U need a Philip head screw driver. At the rear of the headlight, u will se the leveling motor teeth. Just slip the Philip screwdriver in the teeth to man adjust the level.

hsnmz likes this.
  5. hsnmz

hsnmz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    got it, thanks

6. boomer57tux

boomer57tux New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After I changed the headlights on my Prius 2007 I noticed the lights were on the roofs or the trees...Does anybody knows how to adjust them? Does Prius 2007 have an automatic leveler? Can I adjust it by hand? where is the automatic leveler? where can I adjust them by hand?

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If u have HIDs then u have the auto leveling headlights. Look at the back of the headlight towards the bottom.....there u will find the leveling motor. They can be adjusted with a long Philip head screwdriver.