1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto high beam button won’t come out - can’t press in

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dc_priuslover, Dec 24, 2017.

1. dc_priuslover

dc_priuslover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just bought a brand new 2017 Prius Two three weeks ago. 1500 miles so far. Just tried the auto high beam button - it pushed in fine to activate it, but it won’t push in again. It seems stuck all the way in, as if the spring is broken. I’m guessing this isn’t normal. I was able to pull the button out by bending a super market club keychain card, slotting it behind the button, and pulling it. Doing that deactivated the auto high beam.

Anyone else with a Gen 4 Prius - how does your auto high beam button work? When you push it in, does it spring back out?

Annoying that a new car has such a problem ... sigh. Merry Christmas!

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you press it in, it doesn't come all the way out till you press it again. You can leave the auto in and it well do nothing until you have the main beams on. Then it will automatically dip when the camera detects what it thinks are headlamps coming towards you, or there are streetlights and your speed is below ~35mph(?). Hope that helps.

#2 RCO, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Tande likes this.
  3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm sorry to hear that your new car has a problem. "Spring is broken" sounds like a good explanation. Mine behaves normally.

4. dc_priuslover

dc_priuslover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, definitely sounds like the button action in mine is busted. It’s pushed all the way in and the auto high beam function is on (the green light is on) but the button has no more “travel” (can’t depress it in any more) so I can’t turn the system off (unless I slide something behind the button and pull it out). Irritating for such a new car.

I guess this is what the warranty is for. I just hope that the techs don’t screw something else up when repairing this problem. Thank you, and merry Christmas!

#4 dc_priuslover, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  5. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any fix for this? I seem to be having the same problem. Can't turn auto high beams off.

Nexus 7 ?

6. Ranko Kohime

Ranko Kohime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I had the problem, right after buying my 2017, of constantly bashing my knee into the switch until the entire switch assembly (the lower of the two in that panel) actually popped loose from it's clip. You might check to see if that is what has happened to you. Just give a firm tug on the surrounding "chrome" trim area, and the whole pod should come out.

7. Ven K

Ven K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had this problem with my 2016 Prius IV. I think it happened when vacuuming the car. By the time I realized, the battery is also dead.

Fix is simple: took it to dealer and they repaired it not replaced. They also replaced the 12V battery saying there is a short. Oh well.

hope this helps

8. MylesPg

MylesPg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have same problem - it popped out to off position about 6 months ago, but now I accidentally pressed it on so it is stuck again.
    On above post - why was battery dead - related to stuck button?

Guess it is time to head to the dealer.
    - Myles

9. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In all reality it could be as simple as pushing the button panel back out from the back, my knee pushes the button panel in sometimes when I get in, just a slight push of the button panel from the back pushes it back out. BUT, if you think about the problem, if that doesn't fix the problem, if the button is on its not a big deal, the auto part won't happen unless you use high beams, never does anything during the day, so leaving it on, which I do, means nothing 99% of the time.