1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Insurance Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mboileau, Apr 22, 2004.

1. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Haven't seen a discussion on how people are faring with car insurance quotes, but I wanted to pass on my little bit of good news.

I've been with Allstate for 17 years. Not necessarily because I think they're great, but I simply haven't gotten my butt in gear to go shop around and see how it compares with other providers. I've been getting all the applicable discounts so I figured I was doing OK. I have 3 vehicles insured on my policy - the 04 Prius, a 2000 Dodge RAM 4x4 and an 85 Nissan Sentra, all with maximum coverage and 500/250 deductibles. I have one at-fault accident on my DMV record, which is why I started shopping around. Allstates renewal quote for me was $1618 for 6 months. This new quote included a $450 surcharge for the accident I had during this last cycle (it wasn't the Prius!). I called AIS (www.aisinsurance.com) because I've been hearing their radio ads constantly and figured it was worth a shot. They quoted me identical coverage for the 3 vehicles (I read them everything off my declarations page) and their price is $885 for 6 months. I was floored! I couldn't believe it.

Naturally, everyone's situation is different, but I thought that quote was so incredibly low, I'd put it out there as a recommendation.

2. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Moved my insurance from Allstate to Geico; it dropped 30%.

3. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I was massively shocked when I called to get a quote for an '04 Prius from my current company (Amica).

Given that I was currently driving an 18-year old Civic (no collision insurance, just liability and yadda-yadda), I expected a HUGE increase in the premium.

Turns out -- not counting the collision insurance, the rates are actually cheaper for the Prius than for the ol' Civic. From what the agent said, this would have been true of many newer cars (that weren't out-and-out sports cars/mid-life-crisis-mobiles) -- just moreso with the Prius.

BTW, he said that there wasn't a discount for side airbag options; but that the engine immobilizer (which all Prii have) is a factor in the cheaper rates.

6. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

WOW - 3.49% up to 60 months looks outstanding

Chris

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Allstate is charging me more for the Prius than the last car, and it is a more expensive car to be sure, but I don't think I'll be sticking with them unless I see a rate reduction come in the July renewal notice...

8. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am with State Farm, and have been for years. When I shopped around (for all my insurance, State Farm was less expensive). I did check with AIS, but the did not save me any money.

The Prius came to $484 for 6 months with $1000 deductible (self insuring to some extent) and something like 100/300 for liability.

The agent said that the Prius was similar in cost to other cars of similar size/price. She said people who buy luxury cars have much higher premiums (things like Lexus).

Location is Southern California, just outside of LA.

High traffic vehicle, which also makes a difference.

9. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i own a new york insurance agency that goes back to 1892. we represent 15 companies. the bottom line these days is you have to shop. and no one company is lowest for everybody. credit score plays a big part, so does age, and so on. and in some states they are allowed to count things that would be illegal in others... it's a mess, but like everything else, you have to be an educated consumer

10. mboileau

mboileau New Member

For what it's worth, I got the formal quote by email a little while ago (always makes me feel better to have something like this in writing). The actual carrier AIS is putting this through is Mercury Insurance Co. This actually surprised me because Mercury wouldn't take me directly because of the accident. I can only assume that AIS does volume business with them, so they let some us slide through.

Just wanted to point out the factors that they used to lower the rate:
    Vehicle specific - Alarm, Disabling Device, Side Airbags, ABS
    Insured specfific - Multi-car, Good Driver, Homeonwer (15% discount)

I saw the post earlier about some carriers not caring about the side airbags, so I thought that was worth mentioning.

11. PetersPrius

PetersPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have insurance for my Prius with Allstate and they offered me a new policy which will replace the full new value of the car [not the depreciated value]if it is totaled. It also provides tow service, but I already am an AAA devotee.
    This is a great offer for me as I also have a new Dodge Ram 1500 on the policy as well as homeowners insurance. Which gives me multi discounts. Like the post previously said, it depends on you ,age , state etc......
    But, the full value replacement is an offer hard to resist.

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm paying $510 for 6 mo with State Farm with $500 deductable and $100k/$300k/$100k limits. I'm in SoCal as well (Orange County), and have multi-line and multi-car discounts applied.

When I shopped around recently, SF was still cheaper in my case.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are two important factors with insurance:

1. What will they charge you.

2. Will they pay you if there's a claim, and how hard will they make it for you.

Lots of cheaper insurance companies make up the difference by not paying, paying less, or making you jump through hoops to collect.

I use State Farm because they've always been great with me. There's never any question about claims. Take it to the adjuster for a few pics, take it to two (or more if I want) body shops for quotes, and then I pay the deductible directly to the shop, and State Farm pays them the rest.

I would not trust an insurance company that offered to charge me less because I'd never know if they would really pay, or if they'd always be searching for a loophole to get out of it.

14. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just to support this statement: a number of years ago, more than 10, I was insured with 20th century (now 21st century) because they were very inexpensive. Some one totaled my 9 month old Honda Civic exiting from a parking lot.

Although i made a claim against the other party's insurance, I asked 20th century to provide a value on my car. Result?

Other Insurer (AAA) - $8000 plus 600 salvage on my wrecked car.
    20th centurey - $6000.

I also feel more comfortable using State Farm because of my service experience with them for claims on my home, and vehicles.