1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Auto-Level" Headlamps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by guberif, Oct 31, 2005.

1. guberif

guberif Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, I'm new with my Prius... what exactly are my "auto-leveling" HID lamps supposed to do? They don't appear any different to me...

And, yes, I do have a package 4 with HIDs.

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

Pull up to your garage at night and aim your headlights and note where the aim is...

Then fill your trunk with 350 lbs of books. The back of the car will go down slightly.

Then check the aim again. The aim will be close to exactly where it was before you loaded the trunk.

Thats because you have self leveling headlights.

Cool, but not earthshaking.

And if you leave those books in the trunk for a few weeks, you will confuse the computer that is trying to keep those headlights aimed, and eventually you will get a red triangle. This happened to me. The dealer couldn't figure it out at first, then made a guess and moved the books. The light went off. That was after playing with it and making a few phone calls over a few hours.

3. guberif

guberif Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

4. prius04

prius04 New Member

No, the response is not that rapid, nor would it need to be. There would be no benefit for the human eye under those circumstances.