1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Leveling headlights are cool...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Maytrix, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never really knew how much of a difference the auto-leveling headlights made or how much they actually could adjust until mine stopped working. Apparently, the sensor for mine went, which in turn caused them to go to their lowest setting. This was apparent to me because at night, the headlights only pointed about 20' in front of my car.

I actually questioned myself quite a bit on this and wasn't really sure, but when I was in for regular service, I had them check it. After I got it back all fixed up, It was so apparent how big a difference it is.

The odd thing though is I can tell how much of a difference the feature really makes when driving. Can anyone tell? When is it the most helpful?

2. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

My sensor broke as well. And my car was JUST out of warranty =(

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Warrantee or no, it shouldn't cost you; there is a TSB out on this:
    US TSB EL004-06
    April 28, 2006. Automatic Headlight Leveling System Warning Light "ON" or Flashing. 2004-2005 Prius w/HID headlights. replace rear vehicle height control sensor with improved one.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tsb: covered only under warranty.
    recall: covered regardless of warranty.

5. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    mine went too (under warranty). no idiot light, though, just superlow aim. first dealer I took it to said they were fine... they determined that by comparing the aim with that of another Prius that was in for service (!!!). Second dealer had brains, replaced the sensor, problem solved. what a difference, as you pointed out, Maytrix.

rpm

6. Drifter

Drifter Member

I had my sensor replaced under warranty a couple months back. The light was on and off, but mostly on, for three weeks. Of course it was off both when I brought the car in to report the problem and when I brought it back after they ordered the part. But they replaced it anyway and no problems since. I never actually noticed the headlights doing anything strange but I didn't want them to start acting up at a bad time.

7. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine went out too. The lights were aimed really low, probably since the car was new. I thought they were just aimed that way on purpose. Duh. When it was about 18 months old the warning light went on, took it in, and was told the sensor was broken. Had it replaced and the difference was huge. You could say it was like night and day! It was still under warranty so I didn't have to pay the $300+ bill.

I encourage anyone with HID lights that seem aimed low to have the sensor checked out before the warranty expires.