1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-Leveling HID

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by HighBreed, Dec 5, 2007.

1. HighBreed

HighBreed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have an 04 with HID and am wondering if the auto leveling system works properly in mine. I've had Lexus models before and still have a couple and they all do the same "bow down and aim right" beam start-up protocol when first turning on the HID.

Also, when going uphill on the Prius, I don't notice the aim of the beams lowering slightly. It's very noticeable on the Lexus.

Since I suspect the Toyota-Lexus systems are somewhat identical, do you fellows think my Prius auto-leveling system is not working as it should? The aim of the beams looks ok to me- it does not blind oncoming traffic- but I just don't see it "auto-leveling" when first turning it on and when the Prius is on incline/decline travel.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Lexus have projector lenses that allow it to move and swivel. The Prius doesn't so I don't think it will do the "dance" at startup.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The auto leveling system on the Prius is designed for load. In other words, the more weight you have in the back, the more the auto leving comes in to play. You will not see a difference when driving, i.e., going over a bump, or up and down a hill.

Since you have an 04 model, there have been problems with the 04-05 auto levelers. They tend to corrode and freeze in a position. There is a TSB to replace the auto-levelers. There are also several threads here and on PriusOnLine which describe the repairs you can do yourself.

4. HighBreed

HighBreed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Lexus GS400 and GS430 do not have projector type HIDs but they do "dance" at startup. Does your Prius HID dance at startup?

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try shining your headlamps on a flat wall, get out, and stand on the back bumper. Your weight will press down the back of the Prius and make the lamps aim higher. In about two seconds the leveler should kick in and bring the aim spot back down. Climb off and the process will reverse. It's a simple test of basic function.

Tom

6. HighBreed

HighBreed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Will do. Why didn't I think of that??? :)