1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rodlloyd, Apr 14, 2007.

1. rodlloyd

rodlloyd New Member

I am still on my first tank but am very disapointed it does not have auto lights [lights go on automatically when driving at night] unless I am missing something. I have an 07 package 6

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Auto lights are only available out side of the US unfortunately.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and based on the manual which is for North America, that would be in Canada only.

Please do a search as there are many threads on this exact topic.

However, congrats on your purchase and welcome to PriusChat!

4. SpartanScott

SpartanScott Michigan Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually purchased my Prius also thinking that there would be automatic headlights. I am not too dissapointed as I like being in control of when my headlights are on and the car will automatically turn them off when I park the car if I forget (which happened last night). A quick search of "automatic headlights" will give you all the info you need to know.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

You can leave them on all the time if you want, and they'll turn off when you exit the car and close the door. MPGs will drop a bit, how much exactly I don't know.

6. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Apr 15 2007, 06:02 AM) [snapback]423538[/snapback]</div>
    Careful with that, though. If you open the door before turning off the car, they will stay on. If you go out to the car at lunchtime and open the passenger door, turn on the car to roll down the windows, then turn it off, they will come on again.

Better to just turn them off if you want to be on the safe side.

7. rodlloyd

rodlloyd New Member

Leaving the lights on during the day makes the display almost impossible to read

8. cc9150

cc9150 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rod Lloyd @ Apr 15 2007, 09:31 AM) [snapback]423578[/snapback]</div>
    Then click your dash lighting control all the way up, or else tell the MFD to go into Day mode.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rod Lloyd @ Apr 14 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]423459[/snapback]</div>
    I'm happy the Prius lights are not automatic. The sensor in the Intrigue (probably) never worked right and there is no "OFF" position. To turn off the headlights I have to turn on the parking lights. Of course Mr. Goodwrench said, "It's supposed to be like that." :angry:

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 15 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]423798[/snapback]</div>
    The ones on the Prius are different and solve your "DAY MODE" issues on the MFD.

With the headlights on in the day, the IP and MFD don't dim. The moment you hit a shaded area or go underground or in a tunnel, the IP and MFD will dim automatically.

In AUTO mode, it does the same naturally and it's about a 10-15 second delay on/off.

11. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since it was in the owners manual, I thought there was auto headlights and/or at least daytime running lights (DRL). Dealer says not an option on Prius. Don't know why it's in manual, doesn't say anything about non-USA option.

12. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    before I bought my 07 prius, I had a 98 grand am... that thing had a perfect auto-light system, only once in a while it would get "stuck" on night mode, but otherwise it worked great. too bad toyota couldnt bring that to the prius...

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusincc @ Apr 15 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]423827[/snapback]</div>
    <ahem> we're part of North America too.

[When it comes to service, remember that your Toyota dealer knows your vehicle best and is interested in your complete satisfaction. He will provide quality maintenance and any other assistance you may require.
    If there is not a Toyota dealer near you, or you need emergency assistance for any reason, please call the following number:

U.S. OWNERS: Toyota Customer Assistance Center Toll–free:1–800–331–4331
     CANADIAN OWNERS: Toyota Canada Customer Interaction Center Toll–free:1–888–TOYOTA–8 (1–888–869–6828)

Please leave this Owner’s Manual in this vehicle at the time of resale. The next owner will need this information also.
    All information and specifications in this manual are current at the time of printing. However, because of Toyota’s policy of continual product improvement, we reserve the right to make changes at any time without notice.
    Please note that this manual applies to all models and explains all equipment, including options. Therefore, you may find some explanations for equipment not installed on your vehicle.]